Melted Cylinder #5&6 NEED Banks Intake Manifold PT#42747

ldzielak

I'm looking for one of these ASAP:

CumminsIntake_installed.jpg
BigHossIntake-Cumms_lg.jpg

To make a long story short, I was passing a car, about 1/2-3/4 throttle on stock program (no Diablo tune) and TST on 5/9 with 2 on pressure and 1400 high temp. Got besides the guy and something let go in the engine, boost went to zero!!! When I tried to give it some pedal after coasting past, all I could get was injector noise and missing on 1 cylinder. No boost and no power just huge black smoke. I figured I blew my turbo or something and lost an injector as the result. When I pulled over the truck died like it was out of fuel.

I got a lift home and got some tools to pull off my AFE intake on the side of the road, HTT 62/65/13SS is just fine, no boost leaks either, when starting the truck in turned over slower than normal like it was working harder and took an extra 2 seconds to start.

So towed to dealer 1km away(they know my truck has mods and told me to get a downloader in the first place.) the truck went. I have many friends with cars that hate this dealer since they only have limited trouble shooting abilities but they had always been good to me. They figured I had 4 out of 6 injectors bad and wanted to sell me new ones. They said my box caused them to fail and would not warranty them. Put in the injectors and drive without the box for a few weeks was Dealers final answer.

Every other performance shop told me there is more too it. Well the dealer could not figure out how to do a simple blow down test even when I got them the gear, so off the a real shop goes my truck 150 km tow and $766 in diagnostics and injector removal at the dealer.

Verdict, #5 cylinder done, #6 too. lost and intake valve seat on #5 cylinder.

So engine is out, #5 & #6 getting new sleeves and pistons.
All bearings gaskets everything is will be new again, I only had 65000 km on the truck but why take the risk.
All valve seats getting redone and pressed in tighter.
H2 Cam and springs.
Injectors will be Flux 1.6 when they come back from Don M. Don if you read this can I get an update on how bad they were.
BD pulse exhaust manifold.
HTT 62/65/13ss going back to HTT to check for weak/leaking waste gate and will be upgraded to 64/65/13ss.

I really want to do the Banks intake while the head is off and already at the machine shop. From what I have been told Banks has pulled the intake from the market. There are 3 other trucks up hear with the intake and they are all great. Malcolm@ Harbour City Diesel (24vChevy who is doing the work) has one on his race truck and pulled a 9.97 @ 140.04 1/4 at August Blackout with no issues on his.
If anyone has or knows anyone who has a manifold and has not pulled their head off please call me 250-204-9229 ASAP or email lee.dzielak@telus.net.

Thanks,

Lee

Last edited:
I'm just figuring because I lost #5 & #6 is has to to with the manifold design. While my head is being re-worked it a shame not to do a new manifold at this time.

I guess the ZZ manifold could be considered, just have not seen too many pictures of it. I have been reading up on it on here and there is more info than on TDR where I normally hang out.

Lee

I have done a few intake off port jobs. I just fab up the manifold. There is not too much to it once you get the rest of the head done.

I am not saying it is NEEDED...but would it help?

Most people have traditional exhaust manifolds...they work right?

Ever seen what is under the secondary in 5150ram...

1450 hp...something is working.

IF I had the time...why not! Engine design therory supports it...and I am sure at some point it would help. Maybe not at 6-7-8-9-1000 hp...but somewhere???

I am not preaching and value your input Justin.

My engine is completely stripped down. A new intake make sense to me, I think it would be a crying shame not to do it now. 24VChevy has done a few and has had good luck. I don't know if his machinest has done any porting, I think an improoved intake is a step in the right direction even without srrious porting. Greg at ZZ can hook me up next week with an intake but it's 2x the price of the Banks that is no longer available. I don't know what to do know, money pit is getting deep fast....

I'm looking at $16K to get my truck back on the road and trying to do it right (repairs, F1 injector and Cam and exhaust manifold, intake if I'm lucky)
I got fired in June and just started a new job this week. I make good money and always knew you pay to play, but my luck lately just sucks. I wish I had blown it up at WOT on a 1/4 track. But my tuck so far has never seen the rollers or a strip.

Lee