Melted piston.

ccoxva

Loafer
I pull horse trailer with my 96 3500 all the time. 240,000 stock plate slid,B-1 and 4in ex. and thats all. My wife was coming home from a horse show and called late friday night to come and bring acouple trucks that my dually had locked up just after makeing the dreded knocking noise. Got the truck home and pullled the head and no.5 is melted so bad that about an 1/8th of the piston was still hanging on the head and some even mashed under the valves. Just wanting an opinion from some of you guys about what yall think was the source of this prob?? I think that the inj hung open and was dumping the cyl full of fuel and water???:bang

subscribed, this seems odd... a hung injector would do it.. did u say the engine locked up?

ugh... i meant that a hung injector would melt a piston and wash a cylinder, but if it was knocking and locked up (i didn't fully understand OP) than a piston cooling nozzle failed.

well... the thing about a hung injector on a 12v or early 24v is you'll usually just get some haze at idle and maybe a little missfire vibration... the bulk of the fuel shot is still going to be near the correct piston location

the CR engines are the ones that really suffer from a hung injection as you CONSTANTLY have high pressure diesel being injected

it's VERY rare that you will have any sort of problem from a hung injector on an old single fire engine...

I pop-tested a set of injectors that I was running in one of my 98's, and EVERY one of them was dribbling fuel ("hung injector")

no problems other than a haze at idle...

well... the thing about a hung injector on a 12v or early 24v is you'll usually just get some haze at idle and maybe a little missfire vibration... the bulk of the fuel shot is still going to be near the correct piston location

the CR engines are the ones that really suffer from a hung injection as you CONSTANTLY have high pressure diesel being injected

it's VERY rare that you will have any sort of problem from a hung injector on an old single fire engine...

I pop-tested a set of injectors that I was running in one of my 98's, and EVERY one of them was dribbling fuel ("hung injector")

no problems other than a haze at idle...

I've seen a few industial B series and even some deutz that meted a piston due to a split tip, and or hung pintle.. i don't mean a leaky pintle, i mean like stuck open..

There is a pretty good mountian befor you get to were it happened and that truck never got over 1000egt. I thought about the oil squirter but could that cause it to get this hot?? We have had an inj hang open but never cause piston failure this bad. I will try and get some pics of the head and cylinder up soon. By the way she said it happened I thought it had broke off a nozzel and drowned the cylinder and she heard the nozzel bangin around but what she heard was the pieces of piston tryn to get out those ex .:doh:valves.

yup a clogged piston cooling nozzle will do it everytime. drop the pan and use a mirror to look at the top of the cooling nozzle, what oil filter are you using? please dont say a fram oil filter......

Wes

She ran it to hard and overheated the piston. Do you have an EGT guage?

Either that or like others mentioned clogged cooling nozzle. My vote is too long a run @ 1300*+ EGT, that'll melt one down, epsecially #5 or #6 since the coolant is dead heading back there.

Joe

There is a pretty good mountian befor you get to were it happened and that truck never got over 1000egt. I thought about the oil squirter but could that cause it to get this hot?? We have had an inj hang open but never cause piston failure this bad. I will try and get some pics of the head and cylinder up soon. By the way she said it happened I thought it had broke off a nozzel and drowned the cylinder and she heard the nozzel bangin around but what she heard was the pieces of piston tryn to get out those ex .:doh:valves.

Where is the EGT probe? Post or Pre turbo?

With the mods done to the truck and the timing at 18 degrees its really hard to get this setup hot on egts . I am running the pure one filter.
The probe is in the manifold. Thanks guys keep em coming.

The pic I wanted everyone to see.:doh:
100_3666.jpg

wowwww never seen one that bad

ive heard stay away from the wix oil filters too

wow.. that looks like a fuel problem to me... what's the tip look like in that cylinder?