Melted piston.

hopefully the cylinder isn't to bad. although boring the cylinder and sleeveing the one cylinder to be the cheaper way than to go over sized pistons and bore all six cylinders

It looks like the piston in the picture next to the burnt one got a little warm on the side closest to the melted piston. If it is melted, I'd wager that that piston was getting a lot more fuel than the other 5.

Looks like its had pieces of piston and stuff beating the heck out of the end of it for some reason (might as well joke about it).I lifted the head off and about puked a little:nail: Had a pic of some of the piston was still hanging on the head when I got it up in the air but cant find it. I think I will just sleeve that cylinder not decided yet thinking about a reman what do you all think???
REMAN 5.9 6BT CUMMINS DODGE LONG BLOCK ENGINE 12V:eBay Motors (item 250336116392 end time Oct-28-09 10:32:47 PDT)

This is a reman this company sells out of norfolk va. thats fully balanced bottom end and all shot peened.3year 75000 mile warr.

Last edited:
That is not much over the price range of a used unit. I dunno, if something seems too good to be true, then???

It looks like the piston in the picture next to the burnt one got a little warm on the side closest to the melted piston. If it is melted, I'd wager that that piston was getting a lot more fuel than the other 5.

or a lot less than the other 5

How is that still less fuel? Same amount of fuel is being injected as the other cylinders it's just not being atomized as well.

How is that still less fuel? Same amount of fuel is being injected as the other cylinders it's just not being atomized as well.

trash in the tip
injector not opening completly
but with any fuel the more oxygen it gets the hotter it gets so even if the injector was working right if it was only puting out enough fuel to run 1000 rpm but was getting as much air as the other cylinders it would be way to lean and way to hot

Doesn't work that way. You could cram 100psi of boost in to a diesel with stock fueling and it wouldn't melt the cylinder. The more air you cram in to a diesel the cooler the egt's get. Now go the opposite way and cram a whole bunch of fuel in without enough air and you get piston melting egt's. These are not gas motors. Do not think of them as gas motors. Throw the word's rich/lean out of your vocabulary.

we will have to agree to disagree
i think under no load you would be correct but under a big load like pullin a trailer up a big hill it could go the other way

trash in the tip
injector not opening completly
but with any fuel the more oxygen it gets the hotter it gets so even if the injector was working right if it was only puting out enough fuel to run 1000 rpm but was getting as much air as the other cylinders it would be way to lean and way to hot

So your telling me if i keep stock fueling on my 97 and lets say i have a stock turbo giving me 120% VE, and i decide to put a hx40 on and up my VE to 140% my egts will go up.......

You have got to be ****ing kidding........

i think under no load you would be correct but under a big load like pullin a trailer up a big hill it could go the other way

No. We will have to agree that you are wrong. These are not gas engines. They don't run lean or rich. The more air you can give them the better they run. The less air you give them the worse they run. Hence why when you add big injectors on a stock turbo your egt's go up and your water temps go up where as when you add a bigger turbo along with the bigger injectors your egt's go DOWN and your water temps go DOWN. Works the same when towing a load. Trying towing 15k in OD at 50mph up a hill and watch your egt's. Now pull that load in 3rd gear with way more boost and rpm's and watch your egt's then. BIG difference between the two.

some pullers use extra fuel to help keep cylinder temps down though???? i believe, correct me if im wrong

like Tyler said... we'll have to disagree that you know what you're talking about :eek:

judging by your post count and your username, we'll go ahead and welcome you to the diesel world...

with diesels, going above stoich (rich) = hot, going lean = cold... the opposite of gas engines

post count and name mean nothing been playin with diesels since they were IDI

egts dont measure temps in the cylinder and go up from volume of heat in the exhaust(rpm) or burning fuel in the exhuast
diesel doesn't ignite tell 700 degrees and burns at well over 1500 degree
a amoubt of fuel + b amount of oxygen= c amout of heat