Metal shavings in injectors

mxhunter147

Gear Head
Well I sent my injectors in to exergy and got a phone call today that I wasn't real pleased about. All six injectors have metal shavings in them which have worn the ball seats and trashed them. One of the injectors only has about 1,000 miles on it, and it's already getting bad.

So today I pulled the line off between my airdog and the cp3, and filtered the fuel with a paper towell, no shavings. Did the same with the lines between both cp3s and the rail, again nothing.I pulled both cp3s off, which are both stock, cummins and dmax pumps, pulled the covers off the front of them and there is no discoloration from heat or anything like that, and I don't notice any shavings in the bottom of them either. The only place I got any shavings was when I blew out the cross over tubes.

Is it possible the inside of the crossovers would flake like that? Because at this point I'm completely dumbfounded, so any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thats weird, id never think of tubes failing. Maybe your pump ate something and all thats left is stuck in the tubes. Again super weird.

I read another thread very similar to this one recently... Honestly can't remember if it was here, CF, or DTR....

Not good...

A friend of mine only had 15k and he had sent his injectors into them all had metal shavings in them

Swole that thread was one of ours... the brass bushing in the CP3 ate itself, tore up the front pump seal, filled the crank full of fuel, sent "goldschlauger" to all 6 injectors and completely clogged the return system. Had to replace the rail, all 6 injectors and the CP3, 4,000 miles later the engine had to be rebuild because of cracked rings we think due to having the bottom end completely full of fuel/oil. It's still down for the count waiting on R&R rods....

I would think its the cp3 coming apart too, and the fuel flows free through everything but the crossovers, since they have the screens in them, they caught the particles, which is why that's the only place I blew any chunks from. Would the pistons in the cp3 be the first thing to go? The particles I'm finding are black.

I had a modded cp-3 crap itself and it plugged all the injectors up with metal.

The crossovers have some sort of sintered-metal filter in them, don't they? Not just a "screen" like on a screen door but rather a bunch of crushed metal wires?

Could that filter itself be coming apart?

I remember it being a topic of debate whether or not it was a good idea to remove the filter in the crossovers from a performance standpoint... If it's the pump failing and the filters don't catch the shavings then there doesn't seem much of a point to keeping the filters, and if it's the filters themselves flaking apart than you'd definitely want to remove them.

Swole that thread was one of ours... the brass bushing in the CP3 ate itself, tore up the front pump seal, filled the crank full of fuel, sent "goldschlauger" to all 6 injectors and completely clogged the return system. Had to replace the rail, all 6 injectors and the CP3, 4,000 miles later the engine had to be rebuild because of cracked rings we think due to having the bottom end completely full of fuel/oil. It's still down for the count waiting on R&R rods....

Oh Yeah!!!

Dang dude... Sorry bout that luck... Thats some "Swole" luck there.

Man that sucks!! I feel your pain tho. Even tho I had a 7.3, the hpop grenaded and sent the shavings through my injectors on the oil side.

Well today I was getting ready to drop the tank to clean it out. I went out and bought two brand new diesel cans to drain the fuel into. I pulled the feed line from the air dog to the cp3 and turned the key on and pumped about a quart into the can.

In a quart of fuel there was probably 50 of these rust particles. I just don't understand how this stuff goes through a 2 micron filter! What is the point of even having a fuel filter if this crap just goes straight through?

I think I would call Airdog and ask them how this is possible that rust can get past their 2 micron filter, shouldn't be possible but they may have some kind of by-pass internally that has failed, just a thought because you shouldn't even be able to see a 2 micron particle, LOL. Chevokeeman.

Last edited:
I have seen fuel filters left on a truck entirely too long. If water manages to get through the water separator because it wasn't replaced and has passed it's max water capacity then the water will go to the fuel filter. Once in the fuel filter it can either lay in the filter and rust will form inside the filter or it will get passed on to the pump and injectors.

I just check one of the fuel filters, like most filters, they have a spring in the bottom that holds the filter element against the top of the filter. If water lays in the bottom of the filter and rust deteriorates the spring the filter element will drop and allow contaminants to pass.

All manufacturers make the filters this way. Airdog does not manufacture filters.

Last edited:
The crossovers have some sort of sintered-metal filter in them, don't they? Not just a "screen" like on a screen door but rather a bunch of crushed metal wires?

No, it is an insert with 3 passages.