Mild Build Questions/Suggestions

Countryboy07

I am getting ready to tear into my truck for a "mild" build and I am looking for suggestions as to what else to do while I'm in there. I currently have a II 62/70 turbo and I am getting a set of 190cc sticks from Casserly. I also have a new set of heads to put on as one of mine is cracked. I was wondering if there would be any benifit to having a mild port and polish job done while I have them at the machine shop. I was also looking into a Fluidampner as it would be a cakewalk to replace while the cab is up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, however I do have limited income to spend on this as the wife is limiting meLOL

I already have all the supporting mods, just looking for some more things to do while the cab is in the air. Thank you for your help guys and gals:rockwoot:

-French

Just the usual studs, egr delete, AD/FASS, FP gauge, might want to check the oil cooler and rebuild if needed.

Just the usual studs, egr delete, AD/FASS, FP gauge, might want to check the oil cooler and rebuild if needed.

I've got everything you mentioned already, however, where would be the best palce to get an oil cooler rebuild kit? I've seen them on eBay for a pretty penny sometimes. What makes the difference in the price on these?

-French

what are you trying to accomplish?

The truck is pretty much a toy now, however it still sees towing duty every once in a while. The most I tow is 15,000 pound gravity bed wagons during fall. I am building the truck to be a street sleeper and a terror at the strip/pulling track. The truck isn't my DD anymore and only gets about 10,000 miles a year max on her now. I would love to have a set of your twins, but that is out of the question right now. However, if you would, please send me some information on your new oil cooler set up.

BTW, I may have to stop by and give you guys a visit when I come to Dallas in June.

-French

I know you have an aftermarket fuel pump. What about fuel lines? This would be a good time to add a crossover line if you don't already have one. Outside of that, I don't know if you need or should do anything else.

I will PM you the info on the cooler.

I know you have an aftermarket fuel pump. What about fuel lines? This would be a good time to add a crossover line if you don't already have one. Outside of that, I don't know if you need or should do anything else.

I will PM you the info on the cooler.

Thanks for the cooler information. Also, I have new and upgraded fuel lines from the fuel filter forward, but the lines from the pump back are all stock. Would I see any improvement if I install a larger pickup tube in my tank?

-French

Right now it is a Holly pump and it has been doing a great job. But, it is getting replaced with an A1000 here shortly when the bigger injectors go in.

-French

If you are replacing it with an A1000, I would increase the size of the pick up to 5/8 or 3/4. The A-1000 uses a -10 (5/8) inlet.

We actually use the factory pick up tube as our return in our system. The 3/8" line is really good for that. Then we cap off the 5/16 factory return.

When you drop the tank to do it, harpoon the tank. Makes a huge difference!

If you are replacing it with an A1000, I would increase the size of the pick up to 5/8 or 3/4. The A-1000 uses a -10 (5/8) inlet.

We actually use the factory pick up tube as our return in our system. The 3/8" line is really good for that. Then we cap off the 5/16 factory return.

When you drop the tank to do it, harpoon the tank. Makes a huge difference!

Thanks for all the help.

-French

Hey Trusted, how does your system work with a sump? Any major considerations for going that route rather than the pickup tube?

The only concern is contaminants. The sump is usually the lowest part in the fuel tank. So, all the crap ends up in it, then it is sucked up by the pump. When using a sump, you just want to make sure that you change your primary filter (the filter pre-pump) often.

Outside of that, sumps usually work better because there is less effort needed to pull fuel.

Thanks for all the help.

-French

I have a fuelab pump that is basiclly the same setup as the A1000 pump. and it has the same inlet and outlet size as the A1000 also. I got the fuelab pump from Dennis at ITP diesel. Also got his 5/8 pickup tube. Ran braided stainless line and anodized fitting from the tank all the way to the engine.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 7
I have a fuelab pump that is basiclly the same setup as the A1000 pump. and it has the same inlet and outlet size as the A1000 also. I got the fuelab pump from Dennis at ITP diesel. Also got his 5/8 pickup tube. Ran braided stainless line and anodized fitting from the tank all the way to the engine.

Can the Fuelab pump be used as a stand alone pump, or would I need to use it as a pusher pump?

-French

It is the high pressure pump, you would have to have air/water separator/filter like the AD or FASS.

Can the Fuelab pump be used as a stand alone pump, or would I need to use it as a pusher pump?

-French

It can be used as a stand alone. We were originally looking at using that in our kits but opted out due to lack of durability testing.

On paper it looks like a good pump. No brushes to wear out, should last for a long time. When we were designing our kit, these had only been out for a short period of time and there was no real long term testing. So, we opted to go with Aeromotive. Later, as we started re-evaluating our kits to reduce cost, we asked a lot of our costomers what they were running. Seems like quite a few are happy with the pump, but many were on pump 2 or 3. So, we decided to stay with the Aeromotive. (Don’t get me wrong, not all Aeromotive pumps last either, just seems like a much higher percentage.)

actually dennis at ITP told me that this pump needs to be run with a low pressure pusher pump(either airdog or FASS) that puts out at least 95gph. My low pressure FASS system is the 150/95. this fuelab pump also needs to have a regulated return fuel sytem installed on the truck. I've had this setup since september and about 6-7K miles on it and it has been flawless.

Maybe that is why I see/hear so many fail.

Our Aeromotive is a stand alone, like the factory.

Good to know Chris. Thanks

your welcome andy. in the directions it states that there are two settings for the pump. one way that it can be wired so that it pumps more volume and can used as a standalone but in the long run is bad for the pump. the other way is for a lesser volume that ITP sets it up that is better and is suggested that a pusher pump be used in conjunction and for longer life of the pump so that it doesn't hafta work as hard. I had already had the low pressure FASS working with the factory pump and wanted to get rid of the factory pump, but didn't want to hafta buy another FASS system. After talkin to Brody Smelter who has done some business with ya Andy, i decided to do the same fuel system setup as he did. Only difference is that he has an airdog 150 feeding his fuelab pump and i have a FASS. Been working good for the both of us. I see that Dennis' 7.3 truck was in this latest issue of diesel power and his system is setup just like ours...with a airdog 150 feeding the fuelab pump and running a regulated return system also.