miss/white smoke.

dsl kicks gas

Runnin on Broke
i have been having trouble with bad miss/ excesive white smoke at idle.

to start off with i had a blown head gasket, i swaped injection pumps while i had the head off. i have had 2 diff sets of injectors in it, stock, marine's, and 5x.014's. i found my miss is on cyl #5, im getting same amount of fuel out the line as all other cyl, but sound dont change. and #5 is 40-50 deg colder than the rese.............so basicly have it narrowed donw to #5 lol

my question is could it be in the pump or what? i dont have the gauge for my compression tester....but i did use the tester that testes the coolant for combustion gases, it checked out clear.

i can bar it over and the compression feels the same on every cyl....so im thinking its in the pump, but why would it look the same amount of fuel and still have a miss??? not enough psi to open the injector?

mods are
180 pump
191 dv's
4k gsk
o plate
19* timing
5x.014's with 4200psi opening psi
62/65/13
studds....exct.

thanks in advance i have been fighting with this thing for over a week with no luck.

How's the valve lash? If one is getting loose, it won't get as much air resulting in less power from that cylinder.

swap injector number 5 to some other cylinder and see if the miss goes to that cylinder. I have seen where even in a brand new set of injectors one of the injectors wasnt put together correctly and wasnt popping.

swap injector number 5 to some other cylinder and see if the miss goes to that cylinder. I have seen where even in a brand new set of injectors one of the injectors wasnt put together correctly and wasnt popping.

3 diff sets of injectors.......i have swaped them around several times as well still at #5 and the last set were brand new

White smoke in my experience has been/is non combusted fuel - whether because of a blown gasket, a broken injector tip, tuliped valve, incorrectly adjusted valve(s) so it stays slightly open, or wrong timing

Injectors are out as you stated you have tried three sets.

Check the valve lash on #5 - if it is ok, then you need to do a compression check, with a gauge to see if you have a bad valve or bad rings - if compression is down, add some oil to the cylinder and if compression goes up tis the rings. if it doesnt go up it is the valve(s)
Also check the cylinders on either side to make sure it isnt the gasket

It is possible that your timing is off, but then you would have issues in all cylinders not just #5

you can still have volume of fuel coming out of the pump and still not enough pressure. seen the same thing on a caterpillar 3406. white smoke can mean incomplete combustion too.

i ended up pulling the pump and putting the spare pump on it......runs like a dream just not very streetable with full cuts and 5k gsk's