Mod CP3 or duals?

GCarlton53

To run a set of 90 hp or 150 hp injectors and a Smarty will a mod cp3 help or i are duals the only way to go? I have seen these big % pumps and i have had people tell me they are junk and u can only flow so much, and just go with duals to see a difference. any advice?

IMO alot has to do with what your doing with the truck. I know some pulling associations will only permit one injection pump for certain classes but I am not sure what your doing with your truck. Personally I don't see the big hoopla with dual pumps, it's a great setup but makes things look very cramped and limits classes.

Screw the duals, go with the II 120% single cp3.....it flows more than two stock pumps and diognistics is simple.

Duals every time, no comparison to a single, unless you have to run a single to stay in a particuler class. You can have duals for the cost of a modded single. Evil Twin Kit $1550, used pump $200-$400.

Older broke down pumps still wont flow as much as a nice modded pump cause they are rebuilt. The only reason for dual's is your running huge injectors. Cause there's guy's running 200 hp tips on a modded pump.

Plus with the Duramax it's just easier to go with the dual's since the CP3 is in the Valley. I say go with a single cause it does make the bay looked cramped. I like clean looks IMO.

Older broke down pumps still wont flow as much as a nice modded pump cause they are rebuilt. The only reason for dual's is your running huge injectors. Cause there's guy's running 200 hp tips on a modded pump.

Plus with the Duramax it's just easier to go with the dual's since the CP3 is in the Valley. I say go with a single cause it does make the bay looked cramped. I like clean looks IMO.

I didn't no smarty had a programmer for dmax's???

If your gonna do anything do duals. Do some research on here and you'll see.

Thanks, I want about 700 hp , trying to stay out of severe mods and internals. and it gets drove about 5k miles a year.

I say large single, It what im running on my puller. Im running a II single CP3 with large injectors in can hold 26k or better going down the pull track. I see no reason for dual pump's.

I say large single, It what im running on my puller. Im running a II single CP3 with large injectors in can hold 26k or better going down the pull track. I see no reason for dual pump's.

I have no basis for this statement BUT......I imagine if you were to compare data logged graphs of large singles vs duals you would be able to see a difference in support of duals.

150's.??????....big singles are going to run them no sweat. Size the pump/pumps to the nozzles. I wouldn't complicate it with twin pumps either if thats all the nozzle you plan to run.

I have no basis for this statement BUT......I imagine if you were to compare data logged graphs of large singles vs duals you would be able to see a difference in support of duals.

Data logs are pretty sweet of FCA PWM. Shows exactly how much pump your using....how much pump you have left.

Last edited:
The main advantage you will have with duals vs a single is low RPM PSI and more volume of fuel. I am running 150hp nozzles(looking to go bigger) and while staging at the track I see 23000psi before I am even moving vs my stock cp3 with 90hp nozzles that would be 10000psi while staging. Really helps 60' times IMO.

For 700 hp with 150 hp nozzles, a GOOD single pump will do it. Anything more and duals would be the way to go. I have personally seen good and bad pumps come from all of the bigger name shops.

Data logs are pretty sweet of FCA PWM. Shows exactly how much pump your using....how much pump you have left.

Yeah yeah keep bragging LOL

I was more thinking of a rail pressure log, I would imagine the duals would come on faster and have a smoother graph. But like I said, just how I think it would work....not necissarily how it does work.

Back