Modifications and Reliability

Double AA

How far can you go with modifications before the 7.3 losses its reliability? My mod's to date to my 2000 F250 are AFE Stage 2 intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, BTS valve body, F5 Tuner and Turbonetics .84 turbo.

Everything done so far has made a big improvement in performance without any downside. I'm thinking of big oil and possibly injectors next, but I want to keep the truck reliable and remain capable of getting reasonable mileage if I do my part. I don't want heat or head gasket problems. I need a truck that will pull the toys there and back and not leave me stranded. Although I can tell right now, with the added power a new transmission is in my near future.

So how far is too far?
Thanks,

Double AA

Anything can be reliable. Go only as far as you can afford. It is a mechanical piece of equipment and anything can happen.

mech2161 said:
Anything can be reliable. Go only as far as you can afford. It is a mechanical piece of equipment and anything can happen.

I would have to agree.

My truck is definetly conservative compared to some of the other 7.3's on this site. I didn't think I would ever have any trouble, but then my ICP went out.:doh: Left me stranded waiting for a tow truck for 4 hours when it was 17 degrees outside. Oh well, what are you gonna do? Just fix it I guess.

Double AA said:
How far can you go with modifications before the 7.3 losses its reliability? My mod's to date to my 2000 F250 are AFE Stage 2 intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, BTS valve body, F5 Tuner and Turbonetics .84 turbo.

Everything done so far has made a big improvement in performance without any downside. I'm thinking of big oil and possibly injectors next, but I want to keep the truck reliable and remain capable of getting reasonable mileage if I do my part. I don't want heat or head gasket problems. I need a truck that will pull the toys there and back and not leave me stranded. Although I can tell right now, with the added power a new transmission is in my near future.

So how far is too far?
Thanks,

Double AA

you should have forged rods, so that helps. you'll be able to make more power and still keep some reliability. if you go with something like stage II single shot injectors you HPO will be able to keep up better than splits.

If you go with injectors you will have to get a dual high pressure oil pump and will want a bigger turbo

fordtk12 said:
If you go with injectors you will have to get a dual high pressure oil pump and will want a bigger turbo
:umno:
This is sooo not true! I have bigger injectors and a stock pump.

I have bigger injectors and with stock pump it can't handle it when turned up
You will know if you need a dual pump or not a code will come up sayin pressure above below desire and it means below

Whether or not you'll need dual pumps will greatly depend on your injector choice...although big oil never hurts...even with stock injectors.
Small single shots will be fine with 1 pump.....big ass BD's....ummmmmmmm...not so much. LOL

Don't forget tuning to compliment the big oil and larger injectors.

fordtk12 said:
I have bigger injectors and with stock pump it can't handle it when turned up
You will know if you need a dual pump or not a code will come up sayin pressure above below desire and it means below

Injector choice and tuning go a long way.

I think the next mod I do will be big oil, not sure which one yet. But what I'm asking is how far can you go before your pushing the inherent strength of the major components like the rods, crank, head bolts, valves, etc... I don't want to wind up chasing the weak link. Usually there's a safe level where, unless you are overly abusive, the motor will live. The mod's I've done so far has added HP and TQ but hasn't strengthened anything. Which modifications are within the strength of the design of the motor, which will put it over the edge?

fordtk12 said:

wrong..... 550 hp on stock hpop with no cel.*bdh*

dieselex said:
I would have to agree.

My truck is definetly conservative compared to some of the other 7.3's on this site. I didn't think I would ever have any trouble, but then my ICP went out.:doh: Left me stranded waiting for a tow truck for 4 hours when it was 17 degrees outside. Oh well, what are you gonna do? Just fix it I guess.

What does your level of modification have to do with your ICP sensor going out? :what:

Sensors go out on stock engines (PSD or not) all the time.

GREGROB said:
What does your level of modification have to do with your ICP sensor going out? :what:

Sensors go out on stock engines (PSD or not) all the time.

Nothing. I'm just saying anything can happen. No matter what the modification. That's all.

This was just saying if you want the full affect of everything,
but just wondering lukecline why do you advertise for a stealth pump if you don't have one??

TOTAL DIESEL PERFORMANCE- Tony Wildman
Stealth High Pressure Oil System- Gary Stecher
Beans Diesel Performance- Ryan Bean
Full Force Diesel Performance- Ryan Casserly

The best way to know if you should have one, not need but should have is when driving down the road 40 50 and have a clear straight shot. Floor it until you hit about100 if when you do your check engine light either comes on and stays on or flashes. I will say that the code it has is that P 1112 or what ever it is that says ICP above/below desired. That code is that there is not enough oil pressure to the injectors. My truck did it when I had just an intake, exhaust and a superchip.

Last edited:
I think luke is running the stealth pump now, that 550hp number is from the single pump setup with his old injectors

Yeah I think you might be right

wrong..... 550 hp on stock hpop with no cel

New #'s
596/1200+

but see his number went up and I think maybe because of the dual pump. He will have to say for sure though

I am just sayin it will help bigger injector work better/ to there full

fordtk12 said:
This was just saying if you want the full affect of everything,
but just wondering lukecline why do you advertise for a stealth pump if you don't have one??

The best way to know if you should have one, not need but should have is when driving down the road 40 50 and have a clear straight shot. Floor it until you hit about100 if when you do your check engine light either comes on and stays on or flashes. I will say that the code it has is that P 1112 or what ever it is that says ICP above/below desired. That code is that there is not enough oil pressure to the injectors. My truck did it when I had just an intake, exhaust and a superchip.

I DO have a stealth pump now. I DID make 550 rwhp WITHOUT (stock hpop) a stealth pump using regular 238cc hybrid injectors and supporting mods. With stealth pump and custom injectors i now make 596 rwhp/ 1200+ rwtq.... with out nitrous

Back