Mods Help Advice!

Macsbees

I am looking at a GT45 V band T4 Turbo. Has anyone had good/bad experiences?

Is this an ok turbo? Recommendations very welcome!

I have a stock 2010 Ram 2500 6.7 cummins and I am looking at a few mods down the road and trying to figure out what I should do in what order....

Tuner
Turbo
Exhaust
EGR Delete

Anything else you can think of?
This will be my daily driver with occasional towing.

Thanks for the help.
RJ

Youve got a lot of reading to do. That turbo is way to huge for a 6.7 to be drivable at all unless used in a set of twins. what are your plans for the truck? what transmission do you have? regardless its going to have to built or a good clutch if over 450 rwhp. How reliable do you want it? do you want to have to rip into the engine itself to beef it up?

I would say likely a smarty tune, DPF/egr delete and a 4 inch exhaust will do you. If you want more a lift pump like an Airdog 165 with a big line kit and maybe some 90 hp injecors would give you that much more, but then you will likey start loosing rail pressure. These truck like Silver bullte 66/74/16 chargers and i put an S472 on it which was able to take advantage of my extra fueling. Your probably going to want to put head studs in if you plan on pushing 40 lbs of boost or more too.

Ahh in that case thats not a bad choice, do you know which exhaust wheel and housing you were looking at for it?

Not really yet! I am looking for advice on what I should do form those who know!

I am looking at a GT45 V band T4 Turbo. Has anyone had good/bad experiences?

Is this an ok turbo? Recommendations very welcome!

I have a stock 2010 Ram 2500 6.7 cummins and I am looking at a few mods down the road and trying to figure out what I should do in what order....

Tuner
Turbo
Exhaust
EGR Delete

Anything else you can think of?
This will be my daily driver with occasional towing.

Thanks for the help.
RJ

For the tuner, Smarty or H&S are the best. H&S will be more help when it comes to custom tuning.

Exhaust I'd recommend a 5". I had a 4" for a while and it was too raspy for me. The 5" was perfect and deep IMO.

EGR delete is a must.

You'll need an upgraded lift pump. AD150, AD165 or FASS system.

I'd also look into getting rid of the paper thin stock intercooler. You can go with an aftermarket one or just swap a stock 5.9 intercooler on it. It helps a bit with EGT's and air flow.

I'd also recommend an aftermarket intake horn, take a look at Black Ops Diesel or WCC. They both make quality, affordable pieces.

If you have a manual, you'll need to upgrade the clutch. If you have an auto, look into a built unit.

You can go in whatever order you wish. The trickiest part is matching the fueling with the air. You don't want to get 150hp injectors and a stage 1 CP3. You won't be able to hold rail pressure. So I'd recommend picking an overall horsepower goal and building towards it.

ok one more question! The turbo does not have the standard snap ring on it! How the heck do you get the silencer out? 2010 ram 2500

ok one more question! The turbo does not have the standard snap ring on it! How the heck do you get the silencer out? 2010 ram 2500

Obviously its your truck and you can modify it how you wish. But removing it does next to nothing. The reason the turbo is so quiet is because of the plastic baffles and foam in the intake tube. If you get an aftermarket intake (which does not have these) you'll hear the turbo a lot more.

The ring in the new turbos is held in by pins and you'd need to pop them out (I've seen people Dremel the pins and remove the ring). But again, when there is no benefit (either in performance or sound) - I think it'd be more hassle than anything.

pulling the ring on our stock turbos make one hell of a difference in sound, and seemed a bit snappier on my buddies truck when he did it! Its allmost too loud..

pretty sure you have to take the whole housing off, and there is 3 small little pins that hold the ring in and you will then drill them out... and out it goes..

you cant reinstall it after words though so you will need a new housing if you want it quiet again...

you cant reinstall it after words though so you will need a new housing if you want it quiet again...

why won't it go back in?

ive put them back in before. i would pullit out and put the ring in a lathe to get rid of the silencing part if you need the noise and reinstall it. it looks like it would hurt performance leaving it out.

pulling the ring on our stock turbos make one hell of a difference in sound, and seemed a bit snappier on my buddies truck when he did it! Its allmost too loud..

Really? Because I've seen people dyno before and after and some actually lose power.

why won't it go back in?

ive put them back in before. i would pullit out and put the ring in a lathe to get rid of the silencing part if you need the noise and reinstall it. it looks like it would hurt performance leaving it out.

Because they just don't pop back in - you have to drill the pins out to get the ring off the turbo.

Completely different than the silencer ring on your turbo.

Because they just don't pop back in - you have to drill the pins out to get the ring off the turbo.

Completely different than the silencer ring on your turbo.

were not talking about my turbo were talking about a 351ve. and they will go back in i have done it. I should have another turbo within a couple days ill do it again and take pics for you.

were not talking about my turbo were talking about a 351ve. and they will go back in i have done it. I should have another turbo within a couple days ill do it again and take pics for you.

You can take a pics if you wish - I personally don't really have an interest in it.

Unless you can show a dyno showing more power from it, it's not really worth it - in my opinion. Unless "sound" translates to performance.