money well spent...

67smoker

Smoke em if ya got em
Just orderd suncoast's comp 68rfe. Stock trans finnally decided no more. I know some of you guys on here are running them already. How do you like them?

They are good transmissions but you still have to be careful with 5th and 6th. I sled pulled with mine all last year and didn't have an issue until I drag raced with it then I lost 5th and 6th.

I heard if you run the ats co-pilot it helps alot. It might just be here say not sure.

I heard if you run the ats co-pilot it helps alot. It might just be here say not sure.

On the older 47/48 transmissions the Co-Pilot would only control when the converter locks up. On the 68's the Co-pilot is used to ramp up rail pressure, more so then what can be achieved by just modifying a valve body. I've had customers with stock transmissions as well as other after market companies that really like it.

i thought the copilot does nothing more than what a valve body upgrade does....

Well with an Allison that's correct. You can modify the transmission to see the higher line pressures, with the 68RFE's it's different. In the 68 the line pressure is controlled by the TCM. With just a modified valve body it ill raise the low end line pressure and the TCM will try to chase it down. You will still be limited to the factory 170PSI of max line pressure. With the co-pilot and a modified valve body we can get the pressure up to a controlled 250PSI. The Co-pilot will go off boost to raise the pressure as load increases. With MCC tuning you can raise the line pressure but it isn't controlled, and it will keep raising the pressure even when it's shifting which can cause damage. The Co-Pilot will not raise the pressure during the shifts.

On the older 47/48 transmissions the Co-Pilot would only control when the converter locks up. On the 68's the Co-pilot is used to ramp up rail pressure, more so then what can be achieved by just modifying a valve body. I've had customers with stock transmissions as well as other after market companies that really like it.

Have you put any copilots on personally? I have a new one that I haven't put on yet because it says something about having the tcm quick tuned before driving the truck. That has me on hold of even trying the thing.

Well with an Allison that's correct. You can modify the transmission to see the higher line pressures, with the 68RFE's it's different. In the 68 the line pressure is controlled by the TCM. With just a modified valve body it ill raise the low end line pressure and the TCM will try to chase it down. You will still be limited to the factory 170PSI of max line pressure. With the co-pilot and a modified valve body we can get the pressure up to a controlled 250PSI. The Co-pilot will go off boost to raise the pressure as load increases. With MCC tuning you can raise the line pressure but it isn't controlled, and it will keep raising the pressure even when it's shifting which can cause damage. The Co-Pilot will not raise the pressure during the shifts.

I see. Thanks for the schooling

Have you put any copilots on personally? I have a new one that I haven't put on yet because it says something about having the tcm quick tuned before driving the truck. That has me on hold of even trying the thing.
On some of the old ones you would have to do a relearn on the TCM when you installed it, but not the new ones. When did you purchase it?

I see. Thanks for the schooling
No problem. :Cheer:

On some of the old ones you would have to do a relearn on the TCM when you installed it, but not the new ones. When did you purchase it?

I waited for it on backorder and it just came in last week. It says to have a dealer or someone with the equipment do a quick learn for the tcm. It's a 2010 if that matters.

We haven't done a Co-Pilot that requires a relearn for about a year so your good to just install it and enjoy.

I was going to ask the same question Cookcr. Ok well it looks like im going to order the co-pilot.

ya buddy! Ill probally wait till we get back from mexico. Funds are guna be alittle tight till then

We haven't done a Co-Pilot that requires a relearn for about a year so your good to just install it and enjoy.

How did you know it required a relearn? It had me nervious so I'd been holding off but maybe I'll just go ahead and try it.

I took that as older ones did. Is that wrong and you've never had to do a relearn?