Monitoring via OBD2 with Smart Device

VMacKenzie

I know you can get a cable to connect your iPhone or iPod into your OBD2 port and be able to monitor real time data from any sensor in the vehicle. Has anyone done this? I know there are several out there. I have an iPhone but am thinking to get an iPod to be a dedicated display so I can essentially have an additional "gauge" to go with my boost/pyro. The idea being to be able to monitor several other items without a bunch of additional gauges, and to be able to customize and select what I want to view. Now that I have a 24-valve I might as well take advantage of some of the electronic attributes not available with my 98 12v.

This one supposedly gives you the option to add your own sensors too so it would be a slick way to monitor oil temps for engine, trans and rear axle:

Kiwi Wifi - PLX Devices Inc - USA

I would rather have a hardwire one though, and with a dedicated display I'd want it set up to where it required as little interaction as possible when I fire up the truck and go.

Just looking for some thoughts and input from anyone who has used a smart device for additional monitoring like this.