More Indy photos (and my play-by-play account)

Michael

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I arrived on Friday evening, and promptly met up with Timbeaux and a few other guys out at the track. We were checking out a diesel dragster (I think there were 3 of them there running, plus Scheid's on display). Tim directed me over to the TS Performance pit area, where I was given a warm welcome from Dennis & Sheila. They really made me feel at home all weekend. They had a brand new 53' trailer with living quarters up front, plus a big long open 5th wheel trailer, plus an enclosed trailer for additional parts and gear (which happened to be Kenny Bernstein's old clutch equipment trailer).

They invited me to stick around for dinner, and their crew whipped up a phenomenal dinner. We were treated to a visit by "Amish Hannah", who was actually Renee the photographer (who looks like she should be on the other side of the camera).

After we headed into town around midnight, I noticed a large gathering of trucks behind the Motel 6 (which I could see from my room in the Hampton Inn). I grabbed some beer and headed over. I heard that I missed the impromptu strip show in the back of someone's truck (including the requisite stripper pole). Apparently the motel owner had told the police earlier in the evening that she didn't care about the ruckus as long as it was over before 2:00. She came back out around 12:30 and started complaining to the cops, but they weren't intervening since she had previously given her permission. Then someone started trying to shake and knock over a small tree, and the cops went into action. Actually it was kinda funny, because you probably couldn't pick three weenier looking cops unless you held a séance and channeled Barney Fife. They came down and threatened the guys who were abusing the tree, and took one of them off supposedly to arrest him (they later let him go). Then the guy next to me called one of the cops by name (apparently he knew him), and told him he was a p#ssy. Said cop immediately pulls out his taser and starts threatening to shoot the guy next to me, then pulls him away and says he's going to jail. I have video of much of this action. It ends up calming down a bit, but there were still a few more good burnouts over the evening.

Saturday morning comes awfully quickly after staying up late, but I manage to get to the track as the gates opened. The Liberty still hasn't arrived, so I spend time chatting with Earl Stuckey (owner of last year's World Champion Pro Street truck).

IMGP2981.JPG

Once the Liberty arrived Dennis proceeded to add a TS Performance sticker to the windshield. I drove it around the pits to get used to it, and tried a couple of boosted launches to see how it felt.

We got a ton of time passes on Saturday, interspersed with the qualifying passes of the big boys. Unfortunately there seems to be a curse on our pit area, as both the TS Performance and Stuckey Racing Pro Street trucks went through more than one turbo.

IMGP2985.JPG

Here is the result of turbo shrapnel passing through the walls of the downpipe on the TS truck.

IMGP3066.JPG

Here is the last turbo.

I managed to get some decent reaction times in the Liberty, despite never having driven it before. I opened with a 0.013, and had a couple of 0.00x lights as well. The announcers (Eric and Timbeaux) hyped me up much more than I deserved, but it made for a fun time.

I headed over to the vendor booth areas, and spent time with the various ISSPRO dealers. Then I headed over to the Diablosports Hot bodies contest (and I'm sure everyone has seen my photos from that). I also have some uncensored photos from the contest, but they have been given to the administrators of this website for inspection and safe keeping.

Saturday night-

We had another fantastic dinner at the TS Performance pit area.

IMGP3064.JPG

Phil (Wideopen) came by LOL. We also looked at some photos of him giving others rides on the golf cart. There is some discussion of blackmail.

IMGP3062.JPG

Phil then proceeded to introduce Sheila Perry to the guys with him, this is the initial response after a bad Joke.

IMGP3063.JPG

And this is the retaliation…

IMGP3065.JPG

And this could only be described as Stuckey's drunk transportation service…

As I headed back to the hotel, I noticed a distinct LACK of trucks running around hotel parking lots. I thought about heading for the warehouse, but did not know how to get there.

Sunday morning: It was a lot easier getting up this morning, having gone to sleep at a decent hour (only 12:30). We ended up getting 2 quick time runs in, then off into eliminations. Once we got down to the 3rd round (and I was the first truck in the staging lanes each round, always in the left lane), nobody would pull into the right lane. As there were two TS Performance trucks in the rear of the lanes, it became obvious that they would have to run each other if they stayed in the same lane. They flipped a coin, and I ended up racing one of them. I laid down a decent pass (0.009 light), knowing that these "hired gun" drivers were killers on the tree. I felt bad putting a teammate on the trailer. On the next pass I cut a good light (0.021, IIRC), and even heard the announcer mention that I had treed the guy, but didn't hit the brakes hard enough and broke out by 0.012. I had the other guy covered by over 2 tenths on the tree, and took over 0.27 at the finish line while on the brakes for over 11 mph. I just wasn't prepared for the Jeep to pick up that much between rounds, but one of the TS guys had previously warned me that it could happen. Of course this was the money round, and I would have probably had the single the next round into the final.

I hung out in the TS Performance VIP suite for the tractor pulls. It was a great view from up above, and nice to be able to duck into the air conditioning intermittently. I could have even watched from inside, but then I couldn't hear the trucks or the announcer.

Overall it was an awesome weekend. I wish I had taken more photos of trucks and racing (though I shot plenty of the bikinis). Thanks again to Dennis and Sheila (and the whole TS Performance crew)!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet writeup Michael. I had a great time as always hanging out with you again. When I get rich and famous, will you drive for me? You hit the tree like you were waiting on green to be born.

From a guy with a U-haul, to hanging with the TS crew...doesn't get much better than that!

You fit in good with that group though...they all kill the trees, and have the power to catch you on the big end if need be! I know...Earl got me in the second round:hehe:

Chris

Timbeaux38 said:
Sweet writeup Michael. I had a great time as always hanging out with you again. When I get rich and famous, will you drive for me? You hit the tree like you were waiting on green to be born.
I'm gonna hold you to that, Tim! Thanks again for such a great weekend!

Here are a few more photos I took.

IMGP3096.JPG

Dennis and Earl (winner of Flowmaster ET class), getting a BUNCH of goodies from Flowmaster (nice jacket, gift certificate for a FULL top of the line exhaust system).

IMGP3094.JPG

Orange Crush, winner of Pro Street class (and a damn neat ride).

IMGP3093.JPG

Winner of the dragster class

IMGP3091.JPG

Here was a street-driven Dodge which did well in the show-n-shine, as well as on the sled pull. Note that the stacks are molded into the bed!!!

IMGP3073.JPG

Some of the TS Performance trucks, ready for battle

IMGP3079.JPG

Part of the TS Performance pit area

IMGP3080.JPG

The TS Performance F550, which has to lug the big 53' trailer around.

IMGP3083.JPG

This is Brian Carter's 11 second dually, which he slowed down a few tenths to run the 12.0 Quick Diesel class. A split-open intake manifold cost him the race.

IMGP3084.JPG

This was a BIG Ford which was driving around on Sunday. I suspect it was in the show-n-shine on Saturday.

Thanks for sharing the pictures Mike, I just wished I could've made it there! One of these years I'll make it to an event.

Is that the amish's buggy on the other side of the truck on the scales?

Great pix. The weekend is too short.........the year between is too long!

Yup, Gene and Dieter wanted a good looking (slow) truck to power the scales. Me buggy is famous! LOL Who needs show n' shine. LOL

yah. The truck that had the stacks molded into the bed was one clean clean clean truck!!!!!!!!!! i wonder how much money they had into that thing.

AWESOME AWESOME WEEKEND AND I WILL DEFINATELY BE MAKING THE TRIP BACK UP THERE FROM TEXAS AGAIN NEXT YEAR.

Lance

oldsmokey97 said:
yah. The truck that had the stacks molded into the bed was one clean clean clean truck!!!!!!!!!! i wonder how much money they had into that thing.

AWESOME AWESOME WEEKEND AND I WILL DEFINATELY BE MAKING THE TRIP BACK UP THERE FROM TEXAS AGAIN NEXT YEAR.

Lance
Yes that truck was done very well. It looked good, the stacks went good being a dually.

Can't say the same for that faggoty looking grey CC/LB srw furd that had the dual stacks outside of the body.....that guy is an idiot for putting those on like that.

Wasn't sure but the topper is what caught my eye...gotta be famous for something. Where is the SMV emblem on the back though? JEEZ. The local popo might pull ya over man.

Yeah, the grandpa cap gives her away. Keeps my dogs happy on rainy road trips though.

I'm fabricating a SMV hitch cover for her... gonna be bichin!

the topper doesn't look to bad...specially black and blacked out winders. Gives it that evil look to it. But I thought she churned though...just butta?

Evil is the theme.

Parked next to high dollar sled pullers like she was all weekend, the churning my girl does now aint gonna cut the mustard... I'll have that fixed soon enough. :evil:

Yeah, UNBROKEN and I are swapping engines. 6.0 in a Dodge. Gonna put a 6 gunner on that thing and whoop all yer asses. LOL

MORE PICTURES OF INDY PLEASE!!

I don't believe I meet any of you guy but, just wanted to say I also had a pretty good time there and hope to meet more of you at the next meet.

Myself and Michael ( I guess ) in the Liberty were the first to line up on the track. I thought to myself as we lined up.... great!, I gonna get taken out by a Jeep Liberty. Didn't know what could have been under the hood.

I have to give it to the driver.... I think I saw that Jeep on the track more than anyone else :) 100% persistence!

Unfortunately, I was only make two pass. Some of you may have heard, I was the one that broke a Suncoast flex plate. Come to find out, it wasn't broken at all, the bolts backed out and were floating around between the plate and converter. Says a lot about torquing and locktite !

Don't know if you guys know Tim Schmitt who was racing that weekend but....he came through with flying colors to help me out. I had a 500 mile ride back home and needed the tranny fixed. His brother ( Chris ) owns one of the bigger tranny shops in the area and had me towed and fixed asap.

If ever you need help in Indy.... the Schmitt brothers can't have enough good said about them. The shop is Titus Transmission in Avon.

the runs I did do netted me a couple 14's with a 1.9 60ft. Not too bad on a stock turbo and flopping around flex plate :pop:

triton said:
Don't know if you guys know Tim Schmitt who was racing that weekend but....he came through with flying colors to help me out. I had a 500 mile ride back home and needed the tranny fixed. His brother ( Chris ) owns one of the bigger tranny shops in the area and had me towed and fixed asap.

If ever you need help in Indy.... the Schmitt brothers can't have enough good said about them. The shop is Titus Transmission in Avon.

Yep, that would be the Schmitts! They are great people, each and every one. I had the fortune of knowing their son Jeramy shortly before he passed. At that time I had a 99 250 7.3, and I was interested in more performance. Jeramy was running his 24v (the white quad cab with blueish flamed hood you all saw there) on a Tuesday night street legal night. He was running 15's back then. We were curious as to what he had and when the topic moved from his truck to mine he was quick to suggest mods to help me get more power. He didn't even bash me to my face like others did. He told me about Titus Transmission as well. They've been around forever and have a solid reputation from what I have heard through the vines. Their son Josh was driving the truck at IRP last weekend, and he's one cool dude. I run into him almost every time i'm at IRP. It is people like the Schmitts that help make the sport as great and competitive as it is....some people might say too bad, but if you're broke, they will help you get fixed and back out there to run another lap.:clap:

triton said:
I don't believe I meet any of you guy but, just wanted to say I also had a pretty good time there and hope to meet more of you at the next meet.

You met me. I was the sexy readheaded announcer.:hehe: I'm glad to hear you got your issues ironed out. You gave a great looking truck by the way!