most hp: 7.3 or 6.0

smknram

"ADICTED"
I am not a powerstroke guy and im not trying to start and arguement over which is better but, just out of curiousity, can you make more horsepower with a 7.3 or a 6.0?

so far the 7.3s make the most but the 6.0s are coming up quickly (still fairly new)....

now that i think about it there may be a 6.0 at the top but i know that the top 5 PSDs are 99% 7.3s

i would not be so sure on that glasseater, while there are alot of high HP 7.3's there is also alot more high HP 6.0s than you think too.

Or is it the older engine(s) regardless of brand - are the ones that have the development time for upgrades and also the ones that are "less" daily driven and more prone to dumping much dollars into to test the upper limits ?

And also... the ones that the EPA has had less of a buzz-kill on :)

(I know, I know, with generalities you are ALWAYS wrong in some cases ! but I remind you, those are the exceptions :))

^Thats a very good point. You can make a 6.0 faster for cheaper, but a 7.3 will prolly hold up longer...

forget hp, i want torque.

hp is how fast you hit the wall...
tq is how far past the wall you go...

Ben Miller has the baddest powerstroke that i know of and it is a 7.3.

If i was to buy a powerstroke it would be a toss up. I think the 6.0's are a lot easier to get quick power out of, but they just arent reliable, so more than likely id have to go with a 7.3

Eric

If you read enough you will find that the 6L has more quick and easy power, but almost all of the limitations in the 7.3L have been addressed and a few that have not are being addressed.

For me I already have a 7.3L and the truck is paid off so thats an easy one. If I was looking for a new Ford it would be a toss up between the 6L and the 7.3L. With some of the new things that are supposed to come out this next year for the 7.3L the bar is going to be raised, and the 7.3L has proven to be a more reliable engine. Plus you can switch programmin on the fly. My decision would have to come down to the truck. Both engines need upgrades. The newer trucks are nicer and have some neat features, but the older trucks are cheaper.

Right now the 7.3 can make more power than the 6.0 if you are talking cost doesn't matter. The reason is that the 7.3 has dual hpop out. Once the 6.0s hpop issue is solved then the 6.0 has a chance.

I think in a few years there will be a number of Powerstroke trucks running with the Dmax and Cummins big boys. Competition is good, and its gonna be fun.:rockwoot:

The fastest PSD's on the planet are still 7.3's....but without a big bank account, its way easier for the average joe to make a 6.0 very fast....and its impossible to build the same streetable speed out of a 7.3 for the same $$$$

Once you get to 350 RWHP in a 7.3 it starts to become expensive.

Once you get to about 450 RWHP in a 6.0 is starts to become expensive

I think that next year you will see a lot more 550+hp 7.3's out there. It seems there has been a big boom on building of the 7.3 this year. Most of the older trucks are paid off and money is put in the truck instead of payments.

I am banking on dynoing 530+hp next Saturday. I damn sure hope so, I have money riding on it.

Keep Strokin'

strokin_early99 said:
The fastest PSD's on the planet are still 7.3's....but without a big bank account, its way easier for the average joe to make a 6.0 very fast....and its impossible to build the same streetable speed out of a 7.3 for the same $$$$

Once you get to 350 RWHP in a 7.3 it starts to become expensive.

Once you get to about 450 RWHP in a 6.0 is starts to become expensive

I think that next year you will see a lot more 550+hp 7.3's out there. It seems there has been a big boom on building of the 7.3 this year. Most of the older trucks are paid off and money is put in the truck instead of payments.

I am banking on dynoing 530+hp next Saturday. I damn sure hope so, I have money riding on it.

Keep Strokin'

yeah i'm workin on being one of the few with stage 2 injectors in a 7.3 to hit over 450hp... gettin there!

i got a buddy with a 2007 F-250, mine is a 2000 F-250, we both were driving down a road in my neightbor hood and i pulled out beside him and we took off. we were both running on stock, other than he has a intake. needless to say noone really won. i think the 6.0s are possibly faster, but 7.3 will definatly hold up hp and tq alot better. 6.0's need head studs ect. to run alot of power. my opinion.

Im in the middle of building mine to 550+ it has taken a lot of money to get there... around 13 grand perty easily...

Whats the highest HP mark for a powerstroke? fastest I've seen is a mid 10 sec or so. Not real impressive considering all the Cummins doing that, same with the d-max, they are fast, But when considering how many internal mods the d-max needs to be competetive RELIABLY with an internally stock cummins, I think thats kinda funny, not bashing just an observation. Just a "how many PSD, or D-max's have you seen make 800+HP on stock internals? and still drive away after it has run that?

how many dodges are making 800hp on stock internals and staying together? not as many as you think.

how many dodges are making 800hp on stock internals and staying together? not as many as you think.

apparently a lot more than you think, i wish i could say just ask dockboy....... butttttt......... :doh:

his wasn't because of the rod, you can blame the piston on his problems he had. Didn't he say he cracked it when he was test driving it a few weeks before he dynoed? so the 878 or whatever it was, was on 5 cylinders and a cracked pistons. Not bad if you ask me.

I made 790 from a 6.0 at Suncoast dyno day and all of the internals are bone stock. Not real sure how long it will take it but I have only had head gasket issues so far with the 6.0 everything else has worked flawless including the Suncoast tranny.