My Demon project (warning not diesel)

BJS racing

I know its not a diesel but I though you guys might like to see what I'm doing in the lines of building a race car. John Robinson and I actually had talked a little about putting a cummins in it but being that I don't know enought about the diesel world yet I stayed with my small block Mopar. But it started its life as a 72 Dodge Demon that I was going to originally keep on the street, but after a divorce I decided to hell with that and ended up completely gutting it out and doing a full tube chassis from Art Morrison. I have had a bunch of help from sponsors on the car. Flaming river supplied the rack, Classic Instruments is going to build a custom set of gauges, MSD is going to help out in getting fire to the beast, Dupont is going to supply the paint for the car, Painless is going to help me get power through it (I sure hope so, I work for them:hehe:), Royal Purple is supplying all the slippery stuff from front to rear. I am building this car with a couple of things in mind. The front of the car will be yellow and the rear of the car will be dark blue. The two colors will be broken up with puzzle pieces. Each of the sponsors are going to have their own puzzle piece. Now the significance of the paint is that puzzle peices are a symbolize autizm. My son was diagnosed with Autism about 4 years ago. There will be quite a bit of purple on the car and this will symbolize cancer. More specifically leukhemia. My youngest girl (age 6 now) was diagnosed with cancer a little over a year ago. I will be donating winnings from the car to the Ronnie Sox Foundation for St. Judes and to an autism charity after the car is done. I'll be traveling as much as work will allow me to race and support different functions for awareness. Here are a couple of pics of the car from the day I bought it to how it is now. I am going to be getting back on the car after the first of the year. Sorry for the long post.

demon10.jpg

demon8.jpg

demon5.jpg

demon1.jpg

Looks great! A round tube car even, that oughta be light. Is it mild steel or chrome moly? I think I recall you mentioning something of doing it in m/s.

What I wanna know is, what's that can of WD-40 for on the chassis jig?

While you're building it, you may as well leave room for a 5.9 and a stack ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Micheal, The can of WD-40 was for the tubing notcher. Helps save the whole saw bits and keeps the shaft of the notcher from over heating. Yes it is going to be a mild steel car. I didn't want to go through the aggrivation of worrying about cracking tubes in 5 or 7 years. I don't mind the little bit of added weight. I had thought about calling you and seeing what you guys would do on a set of gauges. But John pretty much jumped all over this when I told him about it.

This car is going to have a 408 small block (360 with a 4" crank), a power glide, and a 9" rear. I have 40 spline gun drilled axles for it already. I also have the front wheels, parachute, the K-1 crank for it and the 60" wheelie bars for it. I just haven't had a chance to get pics of them yet. I'll get them and post them up pretty soon.

Tubing notcher? Isn't that a pencil, a die grinder, an angle grinder, and a whole bunch of beer? At least that's how I did my tubing notching when I built my chassis 20 years ago ;)

I agree about the c/m vs m/s, I'd rather save weight elsewhere and know I had decent longevity of the chassis.

Really sorry to hear of the health problems with the kids. They'll be in our prayers.

As a divorced dad getting back into racing, I have plenty of challenges to juggle, I could not imagine adding significant health issues to it. I usually try to find things my 6-year-old daughter can help with while working on the race car (and pay her a small amount for it). Makes for some fun father-daughter time!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Tubing notcher? Isn't that a pencil, a die grinder, an angle grinder, and a whole bunch of beer? At least that's how I did my tubing notching when I built my chassis 20 years ago ;)

man you old guys just can't take advantage of the easier way to get the same results! :bang:hehe::poke:

Since you started a non-diesel drag car thread, I might as well hijack it a little. Here's my ride....

nova.jpg

After a year, got the engine for it, only to have the transmission crap out on me :doh:

Demon looks nice, keep room for a Cummins, 20+mpg and 1000hp......oh and reliable too!

Yea I might as well slide in here also....

1970 Plymouth Sport Satellite 54k orig miles (Sold 2000)

l_181818059d4bfdff182c0ad644eb61cf.jpg

1973 Mercury Comet... I love this car

l_e1c1ae2da8a8c2b05a1c2d0a1c711370.jpg

l_fb41d073d3d61c3739a7265876cc1946.jpg

l_875cd67d57da798255f3ca51c0240ce8.jpg

Her 1972 Comet

l_e8a35fef0c94976f904b9905511c18d7.jpg

My rig I sold 2 years ago after owning it 22 years.:badidea:
Street and race. It went to lake tahoe nevada so I will not cry every time I pass it.

Attachments

• 70 Dart Swinger 340 505 Wedge (2).jpg
    70 Dart Swinger 340 505 Wedge (2).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 70 Dart Swinger 340 505 Wedge (1).jpg
    70 Dart Swinger 340 505 Wedge (1).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 16
  • 70 Dart Swinger 340 505 Wedge (5).jpg
    70 Dart Swinger 340 505 Wedge (5).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 70 Dart Swinger 340 505 Wedge (6).jpg
    70 Dart Swinger 340 505 Wedge (6).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 70 Dart Swinger 340 505 Wedge (11).jpg
    70 Dart Swinger 340 505 Wedge (11).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 11
Here's my toy, in a photo from back in 1988. It's in my garage right now, getting the steering re-worked (need to eliminate the cable flex coupling per updated NHRA rules). Should be well into the 8's with the new motor (320cc aluminum headed 482" big block Chevy).

SG-Woodburn-02.jpg

Regards,
Michael Pliska

I could never figure out how to make the pics appear in other than thumbnails like you guys????:bang

wow , one thing Me and John agree on , your great help, and a great Hot Rodder. Jason if you need anything

Micheal, The can of WD-40 was for the tubing notcher. Helps save the whole saw bits and keeps the shaft of the notcher from over heating. Yes it is going to be a mild steel car. I didn't want to go through the aggrivation of worrying about cracking tubes in 5 or 7 years. I don't mind the little bit of added weight. I had thought about calling you and seeing what you guys would do on a set of gauges. But John pretty much jumped all over this when I told him about it.

This car is going to have a 408 small block (360 with a 4" crank), a power glide, and a 9" rear. I have 40 spline gun drilled axles for it already. I also have the front wheels, parachute, the K-1 crank for it and the 60" wheelie bars for it. I just haven't had a chance to get pics of them yet. I'll get them and post them up pretty soon.

Yea, WD-40 is a shops best friend for many different reasons. I'll buy it by the case when i can, same with Contact Cleaner.
Cromoly is about 40% lighter and about 30% stronger than MS of the same size, when CM fails it is 99% of the time at the weld area, mainly due to improper heat or weld penetration, the material itself is way better than MS, but because it takes a skilled welder to do it correctly you may not allways get the best weld, and because of that it will have problems down the road. We have a Pro mod car, and a Pro stock car that are about 10 years old with around 1000 passes on them and not one issue with the CM chassis. I think it is because of the extra care and added detail the welder took when building the car. Both cars have 630+CI motors with over 1400 hp, so the chassis has seen a beating. One other thing I wanted to De-bunk was that all of Mark Williams axels are of a CM material and they dont have a cracking issue by any means, IF anything on a race car see's stress it's the axels..... again showing that CM is a very durable/light material when compared to MS. Hope this helps those who did not know the difference.

My pride and joy till i got into these dam diesel trucks now it sets in the garage collecting dust
pump gas
9.90's at 135-140

l_3f4f8a6532d84528929fdda8c34619b6.jpg