My truck still doesn't run right after a reman VP from II was installed.

MKoth

Trouble Maker
02 HO truck. Had a hot rod pump from II.

Driving home from a wedding in July, the truck started knocking and blowing white smoke. I turned off the truck and could not get it to restart, so I had to put it on a trailer to get home.

I put my scan tool on it, and got a 1688 code. Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure

Figures..pump has 26K miles on it, but I have had it for 2 years, so no warranty. I order another pump from II, this time an 027 pump. It takes a week and a half to get. I throw it on. Truck will still not start.

I try to bleed the injection lines, but get nothing but bubbles at injector 1 and 3. Line 4 has a ton of good clean air free fuel coming out of it.

I check everything, then call II.

I was first told that it is a supply issue, and if I was running a FASS instead of the A1000 I have, the truck would run fine. So, I check every fuel fitting on the truck, they are all fine. I have a constant stream of clean air free fuel at the VP, so that isn't the problem.

I pull the pump and send it back to II, they supposedly put it on a bench and it tests OK. I get it back put it back on, and there is no change. I then took off the timing cover to see if the key got squashed, or if for some reason the pump gear skipped a tooth. Everything in the timing gears are fine.

So, the next thing I do is send my ECM to BOB Wagner and get it re flashed to that of an 02 SO truck, thinking maybe the pump SO pump is not working right with the HO ECM. I get the re flashed ECM back, and the truck still acts the same. An a last ditch effort, I put a new cam sensor in it...still no change.

So, as things sit right now, I have a reman SO VP from II, new cam sensor, re flashed SO ecm from Bob Wagner, and the truck will crank for a long time, then start, but will idle rough, blow black smoke at any throttle position, and has a very loud timing knock that comes and goes depending on engine RPM. No matter what I try, I cannot get a steady stream of fuel out of injector lines 1 and 3.

The only other thing in the fuel system I have not replaced is the injectors..but I highly doubt they would be causing this problem.

I have a suspect as to what the problem is, but I am open to any suggestions.

Hammer and a blue wrench.... if that don't fix it, it's broke.

Might try another vp?

I have heard this before... Its way out in left, but the fuel heater in the filter canister did not work on a truck and it stumbled and ran like crap!!!

Might give it a try and a last ditch effort...

If one of your injectors is slightly stuck open this can allow compression gasses to enter the fuel system. I would atleast test the injectors to see if they are okay. You can move the injectors around to see if the bubbles coming from your line connections follow the injector move. You can also start and run the truck with a VP44 tester (cummins tool). This will bypass everything electronic on the engine except the VP44.

Good luck
Malcolm

justinp20012500 said:
Might try another vp?

I have heard this before... Its way out in left, but the fuel heater in the filter canister did not work on a truck and it stumbled and ran like crap!!!

Might give it a try and a last ditch effort...

I am going to call Brady on Monday and see if they can send me a different VP.

If I have to, I will just pay for it, and if that fixes the truck, then there may be some words exchanged.

I think you have an injector problem. 24VChevy has the right idea. You could just pull all six and have them tested. We had a truck in the shop awhile back that had a couple of stuck nozzles. Started really hard and knocked. We suspected timing at first. Like a cam issue or something, but it was ok. We pulled the injectors and found two of them leaking.
Good luck.

I am going to throw some different injectors in this week.

I still don't see how that would have caused the 1688 code though...

Injectors would not cause the code but just throwing ideas out there for ya. Is the 1688 gone with the new pump? Is it possible that contamination got into the injectors, fuel lines and stuck the injectors?

Malcolm

24VChevy said:
Injectors would not cause the code but just throwing ideas out there for ya. Is the 1688 gone with the new pump? Is it possible that contamination got into the injectors, fuel lines and stuck the injectors?

Malcolm

Yeah, no codes with the new stuff.

I had a few codes when I first swapped in the new VP, but they went away with the reprogrammed ecm.

justinp20012500 said:
Injectors would be a lot easier then a VP.

I have VP swaps down to about 45-50 min now...

I think I have had this one off 3 or 4 times, not to mention roughly a dozen I have done in the past.

Well...I got it figured out.

Half of an injector tip is missing...that would explain just about everything.

It broke well below where the holes are edm'd, so I wounder if a piece of debris from the pump caused it.

Heck, my luck, the 1688 code was false, and I just bought a VP I didn't need.

Send it back and tell em you didnt need it after all .
and Thanks anyway.

Mountaineer said:
Send it back and tell em you didnt need it after all .
and Thanks anyway.

its already on, so it is gunna stay that way.

i plan on sending the hot rod pump in and getting checked out, and then selling

Glad you got it fingered out there guy. Time for some new sticks I suppose.