Mysterious metal in oil pan

JamieWood

Blowin' Smoke
Can anybody ID these pieces of metal.

I found these in the bottom of my oil pan during disassemble.

Bronze is copper and the silver is metal.

Attachments

• S5000157.JPG
    S5000157.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 121
A turbo thrust bearing is the bronze colored thingy

Soup Nazi said:
A turbo thrust bearing is the bronze colored thingy

i'm about to die laughing, i love the terminology. that's great. sounds like me sayin well that there thing there is........

kelownadiesel said:
Almost looks like a valve spring keeper to me ,the top one that is.

Ya, that is what I thought, but it fits into the bronze one and the markings are the same on both pieces.

That looks an awful lot like a valve spring retainer.............. I see those all day long. On the other hand I've never seen the guts of a turbo.............

When the turbo popped, this is what actually popped apart. I had some pieces just like that in my oil pan too.

Both def from the Charger, bronze is the turbo thrust bearing and the silver part, not sure what it's called, pops inside of the thrust bearing for the shaft to go through.

well, hate to be the bearer of bad news but the pieces on the bottom is the cam retainer plate!!! and the rest has me buttfuzzled! i keep staring at the picture and if it commes to me i'll let you know!

don, im dissapointed i thought you would've known the cam plate.

The turbo was locked up when I removed it. And the backside of the bronze thingyLOL has a recessed screw hole.

if you have a cummins engine book look up the retaining plate. look at a picture of it it'll be clear then!

and to think about it how is that large of pieces going to get past the pistons/rings and slid down the cyl. walls into the pan. alot easier to bust in the front cover and then into the pan! i'm not at my home comp. or i would post a pic of the oem plate and the billet plate. anyone have a pic they can post?

what would help is somethign for size reference in the pic. i agree with the above, i have taken apart a charger and thoses pieces look familiar.

Agreed, they are from the charger. Anyone that has rebuilt chargers would know so.

yep, there out of the turbo, had the samething happen to a C-series in a crane at work, charge went boom, replaced it, then did a inframe a year or so later and spent the better part of a day trying to figure out what the junk in the pan was. LOL