Narrowed Rear Axle ????

BBRam

Just For Fun
I am going to be starting a 12valve drag truck build. For now I will be using a Full 2wd 1500 chassis, Reg. Cab, Long Bed. I will be removing the leaf springs to allow clearance for the slicks under the truck. I also prefer to run a narrowed rear axle housing vs offset wheels. The truck will be gutted, but still heavier than I would like it to be. What would be a good choice of rear axle? Oh, and I am not a 9'' fan, if with the weight it is even an option.

TIA, BRIAN

We have a guy near us (grand rapids) that can do the work and then we have the parts for it. Project for next season or plan on running it south over the winter?

I'd like to go Dana 60 with upgraded shafts and a spool. Any thoughts?

I'm about to be in the same situation....if the truck is light enough will a 9" or dana 60 hold up??

I have been thinking that they wouldn't.

The 9 inch is the way to go, its 400 lbs lighter, and has a wide selection of gear ratios, from 2.50’s to 6.20’s
I haven’t had a problem with the exception of a crush sleeve that should not have been there, which failed in one pass, the other rear gear lasted 250 passes and looked new.

Put good parts in it, and it should last a long time. Remember all of the Pro Trucks and Dragsters run 9 inch parts , with 9 inch or 9 .5 gears and some run aluminum spools

Put good parts in it, and it should last a long time. Remember all of the Pro Trucks and Dragsters run 9 inch parts , with 9 inch or 9 .5 gears and some run aluminum spools

Are you saying the PRo DIESEL guys are running a 9 inch??

because a lot of Top Sportsman, all NHRA Pro Stock (that I know of), and other high end gas race cars run an 11 inch. Which i VERY pricey.

9" parts are cheap and they can be built to withstand quite a bit. That would be my choice.

Yeah, but where are the limits of 9"??

2000 ft. lbs. and 3000 lbs race weight?? barely within the limits??

And Brian, if a 9" is strong enough, then 60 certainly is, since it is stronger in stock form. And check out markwilliams.com for aftermarket Dana 60 parts. Currie is doing Dana 60 stuff too.

"9'' parts are cheap" Where on earth are you finding those?

SHughes, I have a 60 in my P/S Challenger. The internals (Shafts and Spool) for that came from Moser. The pinion yoke is Mark Williams.
The concern I have here, as you stated, is the weight of the truck.

The Stuckys run a 9" in the Green Truck.

Further, they broke the d60 consistently until switching to the 9" once they got to a certain power level. The offset of the pinion and the support aft of the pinion make it one strong sob! Beware though, some 9" housings/center sections have much more beef in them then others.

The 9 inch is the way to go, its 400 lbs lighter, and has a wide selection of gear ratios, from 2.50’s to 6.20’s
I haven’t had a problem with the exception of a crush sleeve that should not have been there, which failed in one pass, the other rear gear lasted 250 passes and looked new.

400lbs lighter then a D70 or D80?

Further, they broke the d60 consistently until switching to the 9" once they got to a certain power level. The offset of the pinion and the support aft of the pinion make it one strong sob! Beware though, some 9" housings/center sections have much more beef in them then others.

If I'm not mistaken the better of the center sections has an "N" cast in it. Of coarse this is excluding the after market pieces.

I wouldn't even attempt to run a stock piece, the pinion support is shaky at best.

If I'm not mistaken the better of the center sections has an "N" cast in it. Of coarse this is excluding the after market pieces.

I wouldn't even attempt to run a stock piece, the pinion support is shaky at best.

My buddy had his center section at my house this past weekend and it had an N cast on it. He indicated it was much more material in the support then the other center section which he demolished with only a 450-500hp 3200 pound stick shift car. His center came from moser though, I suppose they use this center section with the N on it.

like you i dont want a 9", just my thing. i tried a 8-3/4 but it didnt hold up, using a d70 until i can get the funds to build a d60