Need advice setting up winch on my gooseneck

Got Smoke?

Ok I have a Mile Marker 12,000lb electric winch mounted on a plate in the neck of my gooseneck. Problem is it is not hard wired in and runs slow as molasses from jumper cables. I have a spare good truck battery, although it is only a size 24 it came out of my 99 since I had to replace one with a hole in it.

My original idea was to run a Zero gauge power wire all the way down the frame from my passenger side battery to the bumper with a quick disconnect at the reciever hitch.

Is there any way to utilize this spare battery so that it doesn't go to waste? I'm trying to think of a way to use it, but not seeing much use in going from a battery in my truck...back to a battery on the neck down to the winch on a plate in the neck? :what:

Someone with a littel more experience please educate me.:thankyou2:

in your 7 pin on you hitch is a 12v power wire.you may have to hook up a wire under hood to make it work.. but hook it up to battery on trailer, (mount it in a box) to charge it when the truck is plugged in. and use that battery with large cables to run winch.
also if you dont use winch all the time, and trailer sits outside you can get a solar charger/maintainer to keep up batt voltage..

in your 7 pin on you hitch is a 12v power wire.you may have to hook up a wire under hood to make it work.. but hook it up to battery on trailer, (mount it in a box) to charge it when the truck is plugged in. and use that battery with large cables to run winch.
also if you dont use winch all the time, and trailer sits outside you can get a solar charger/maintainer to keep up batt voltage..

SEE! That's what I love about this place...I did not even think about that! And I'm positive that buying a battery box & solar panel will be much cheaper than the extra Zero ga. wire I would need in addition to what I already have!

:bow::bow::thankyou2:

with wire cost nowadays you are correct sir.
we use this set up for our dump trailer minus the solar panel. we stuck an expensive battery charger on it and leave it plugged in at the shop.. cause its inside... but works like a champ!

with wire cost nowadays you are correct sir.
we use this set up for our dump trailer minus the solar panel. we stuck an expensive battery charger on it and leave it plugged in at the shop.. cause its inside... but works like a champ!

Well see I have SEVERAL feet of 2 gauge maybe some Zero too...and definately several feet of 0/0...I used to run large CB linears a few years ago...sold the boxes and kept all the wire. ;) About to cruise ebay for batt box and solar charger....thanks again!

in your 7 pin on you hitch is a 12v power wire.you may have to hook up a wire under hood to make it work.. but hook it up to battery on trailer

Where exactly is it under the hood? Just in the main fuse block? Anywhere inparticular I need to look?
Thanks

I think it is already there. I want to say the center pin.

Let me knwo if you find a cheap battery box.

I think it is already there. I want to say the center pin.

Let me knwo if you find a cheap battery box.

Yes 12V is usually the center pin on the trailer or truck if your talking round plug, but my 99 doesn't have the small round plug in the bed. I use the large 7 flat on the reciever hitch. I was asking about where to hook up under the hood if needbe, but will start by first checking to see if its hot at the back of the truck. I doubt it because the wiring was ALL FUBAR'D when I bought the truck and I had a buddy of mine fix it for me. Not sure if he hooked up the 12V hot or not though.

Lynn Chapmann said he got his @ Wal Mart for $20. Quick Ebay search showed the same thing as well. $9.98 for the box plus $9.99 for shipping. ;)

FYI
0=ought
00=double ought
3/0 is 3 ought.

Yeah I am familiar with those, I just used Zero to not confuse anyone.

Lynn Chapmann said he got his @ Wal Mart for $20. Quick Ebay search showed the same thing as well. $9.98 for the box plus $9.99 for shipping. ;)

Yeah I am familiar with those, I just used Zero to not confuse anyone.

I have a large invertor, and I thought about just running 120V from the invertor back to outlets on both side of the trailer, and then maybe putting 120V battery charger on the trailer or something.

I have a large invertor, and I thought about just running 120V from the invertor back to outlets on both side of the trailer, and then maybe putting 120V battery charger on the trailer or something.

:what: your over my head there electrician.

Basically just running 120V from an invertor so I would have 120V outlets on both sides of the trailer for things like an electric impact etc.

on your flat 7 pull it out of the bed. the hot will be the large white wire, and it may already be hooked up up front..i believe its on the top to the right and the ground is bottom to the left., the large black wire is the ground...
on my xhevy the hot wire is rolled up in the loom taped to it below fuse box.. i cant tell you where it is on your truck
good luck!!

on your flat 7 pull it out of the bed. the hot will be the large white wire, and it may already be hooked up up front..i believe its on the top to the right and the ground is bottom to the left., the large black wire is the ground...
on my xhevy the hot wire is rolled up in the loom taped to it below fuse box.. i cant tell you where it is on your truck
good luck!!

Thanks! I will check that out tomorrow. Wiring is very weird on my 99. I bought the truck from a buddy of mine that had it for a few years. The PO before him did some hack job wiring that my buddy wasn't even aware of.

Example:
There was a 7 flat plug under a drop in bed liner in the bed...not hooked up? :what:

The 7 flat on the reciever hitch was hooked up, BUT it had multiple wires hooked up to it that were all "running lights" :what:

And the icing on the cake....the dome light and map lights do not come on with the door. They do not come on with the dash dimmer switch....nor does the dash dim or brighten ANY. I've looked in behind the dash.....not something I wanna tackle.:bang:kick:

run a 2 or 3 ga. wire from your battery on your truck to a quick connect at your trailer hitch, i would also keep your battery set up on your trailer too. that way you have a total of 3 batterys running your which, that how i did my 9000 pound super winch and it works awsome that way

run a 2 or 3 ga. wire from your battery on your truck to a quick connect at your trailer hitch, i would also keep your battery set up on your trailer too. that way you have a total of 3 batterys running your which, that how i did my 9000 pound super winch and it works awsome that way

So let me see if I have this correct? :???:

1) You have a a battery on your trailer that is hooked up to the 12V hot in the trailer wiring to maintain charge when towing your trailer.

2) You have a 2 ga. wire running from one of your batteries back to trailer hitch in a quick connect.

3) You somehow have the winch hooked up to the battery on the trailer, as well as the quick connect at the trailer hitch? :what:

Pictures? Clarification on wiring? I probably have enough 2 ga. that I could do this as well. Just need to understand exactly how to do it.
:thankyou2:

as long as the one batt on the trailer is big enough you shouldnt need the 2ga to a quick connect.. but yes fuse the hot wire in truck to keep it from burning down. and fuse the winch to keep your trailer from burning down.