Need advice setting up winch on my gooseneck

Here is the way I would do it kind of like the way mentioned above,

First run 2ga wire from your passenger battery down to a quick disconnect at the back of the truck, Fuse it if you want-

Place your extra battery on the trailer, ground it to the trailer and run 2ga long enough to not bind up when connected to the truck-

Attach your winch wiring to your battery on the trailer.

Reason I would wire it this way is because that is how I plan to wire mine and when using your truck you have the power of three batteries plus the charge from the truck so your batteries won't run low and if you ever use the trailer without your truck and the winch is needed you have it wired to a battery already and hopefully will have enough charge for use.

Reason I would wire it this way is because that is how I plan to wire mine and when using your truck you have the power of three batteries plus the charge from the truck so your batteries won't run low and if you ever use the trailer without your truck and the winch is needed you have it wired to a battery already and hopefully will have enough charge for use.

So you saying to forgo the 12V wire in the trailer wiring and run a 2ga with quick disconnect to the batt on the trailer. Then run s 0/0 from the trailer battery to the winch (I have a lot of 2ga and a little 0/0)?

I'm with riviera on this one. One battery on trailer, charge it through the trailer plug. We have done many trailers this way. Blackdog's method is overkill IMO.

I'm with riviera on this one. One battery on trailer, charge it through the trailer plug. We have done many trailers this way. Blackdog's method is overkill IMO.

I like overkill! :evilgrin: and I already have the wire and quick connects from my old CB days. I like the idea of 3 batteries powering the winch instead of one that will depleat quickly. So the only cost I would be out to do it that way would be w couple of marine terminals, battery box, and fuses.

Cool BIG thanks guys!

Fuse it at both batteries. I personally think the charging will be ample. I mean that fully charged battery should get the winch up top. Also is the wire you have THHN? THHN isn't a high flex wire.

I plan to put mine on and just use a charger. I need to find a relay box for my warn m8000 though. I bought it brand new with no relay box.

Fuse it at both batteries. I personally think the charging will be ample. I mean that fully charged battery should get the winch up top. Also is the wire you have THHN? THHN isn't a high flex wire.

I plan to put mine on and just use a charger. I need to find a relay box for my warn m8000 though. I bought it brand new with no relay box.

Not sure on the wire I will check this afternoon and post back. The battery is a group 24 size 750cca 935ca you think it will be sufficent on just the small trailer wire? Guess their is one way to find out. ;)

Here is the way I would do it kind of like the way mentioned above,

First run 2ga wire from your passenger battery down to a quick disconnect at the back of the truck, Fuse it if you want-

Place your extra battery on the trailer, ground it to the trailer and run 2ga long enough to not bind up when connected to the truck-

Attach your winch wiring to your battery on the trailer.

thats the same way i have mine, sorry i have no pics im away from home. one battery runs down very quick mine use to be set up that way, if u fuse it go with an 80 to 100 amp

I like overkill! :evilgrin: and I already have the wire and quick connects from my old CB days. I like the idea of 3 batteries powering the winch instead of one that will depleat quickly. So the only cost I would be out to do it that way would be w couple of marine terminals, battery box, and fuses.

Cool BIG thanks guys!

Go overkill, If you do it the way I said you won't have to worry about the one battery on the trailer holding up. If you depend on your 12v connection through the trailer plug to keep the battery charged it may or may not keep it fully charged depending on how often you use the trailer and how far your drive is. With good gauge wire and use of all batteries you will know that the winch will have power no matter what. The other thing is that your alternator is going to charge that trailer battery alot quicker through heavy gauge wire than smaller wire through the trailer plug and if your battery on the trailer isn't fully charged when hooked to the truck if you run it through the trailer plug and the truck is shutoff it will keep drawing down the batteries on the truck because it is a 12v hot connection. Clear as mud?

Don't forget the isolator if you have to run a new wire to the rear of your truck. One of those "Dual Battery Isolator" types. Just hook up the winch to one battery on the trailer. Charge that one with the wire from the isolator if you don't have a hot lead on your plug. Three batteries is just wasting resources, unless you have to winch ALOT from your trailer.