Need gearing info

INTHERED

Truck puller
Well i have a first gen 2.6 puller it has a nv4500 with a 205 transfer.Axle ratio is 4.10 i pull in second high all time and that is 12.46 final drive ratio do not have issue spinning out.But everyone says thet you want a final drive of 14 to15 well gearing up to 4.56 in front and 4.63 rear would be 14.08 in second.Was just wanting some input on what to do and why thanks in advance

i take it you probably pull on sandy or loose tracks mostly with sled that you can't get much speed down the track. With that fast of a gear your actually spinning your tires so fast that they can't get a chance to grab any traction. Slowing your gearing down may help you to hook the tires up a little better.

It would be best to run in 4th gear. You will break 2nd gear eventually but the high gearing in the 205 requires super low gears in the axle to get the right final drive ratio.

the tracks i pull on are ohio clay tracks not sandy but you have point about slowing down to get traction. I know i should be in 4th low but it is a tall gear with a 205 and 4.10

Oh sry. I seen your location say Fresno and i was thinking Cali.... Do you have any video's of your truck running down the track?

the tracks i pull on are ohio clay tracks not sandy but you have point about slowing down to get traction. I know i should be in 4th low but it is a tall gear with a 205 and 4.10

Torque+205+clay=broken 205

I believe if you go with a slower gear you can pick up your RPM and ground speed quicker and higher once the tires hook up to the ground. You've got plenty of torgue to help muscle the sled on the far end and just spin out. The lower gearing should help you mostly on just picking up more ground speed. It sounded in the video that it may have been struggling to pick it up but it still has the power and torque to hold the RPM on the far end.

the struggle at start was water to air had leak an filled up on trailer ride to pull usually does not struggle like that