need help building puller

smokie07

im not new to the sport but dont have any friends that pull so i come here wanting advice! im pretty interested in building my current daily driver into a strictly puller! so what would be a good start want to start low and move up later just something to get me in! heres a pic and its a 95 7.3 :poke:

Attachments

• CIMG0568.JPG
    CIMG0568.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 34
that 7.3 is not inherently a good platform to build a puller out of, however, it can be done but it wont be very cheap, for starters, i'd decide what class you want to pull in (work stock, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0 and so on...) then i'd get some traction bars on, a good stout transmission (or clutch) and then address the air and fuel. From what i gather powerstrokes are not known for cheap injectors and the HEUI system is somewhat limited on the power it can make compared to the cummins or duramax mill, so you COULD swap in a 12 valve and then go crazy from there, or you can buld the stroker, it really all depends on how much money you want to sink into it to be competitive in your chosen class

well i would like to build it to the max in work stock and move up as i can build it i do have tough country bars also

Well, here is my thread on building my Super Street 3.0 class puller with a 95 F350 single cab 4x4 dually. All Power Stroke. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

The New Sled Puller. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

First and foremost, if you are building a full on puller, you need a rule book from the sanctioning body you are gonna pull with. That's where we need to start.

Well, here is my thread on building my Super Street 3.0 class puller with a 95 F350 single cab 4x4 dually. All Power Stroke. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

First and foremost, if you are building a full on puller, you need a rule book from the sanctioning body you are gonna pull with. That's where we need to start.

thanks i would appreciate it!

Where are you located? Who are you gonna pull with? If you go with NADM rules, I have a 2010 rule book. So fire away on the questions.

National Association of Diesel Motorsports.

Okay, better question. Where are you wanting to pull? Who put's that pull on?

We gotta start with the rules, otherwise you are just building a truck to pull for exibition only. I'm not trying to overwhelm you with questions. Power Stroke pullers are rare for a reason. They are hard to make power with, and they are expensive. But with the right information, and people to work with, you can go out there and have as much fun as any Cummins or Duramax. Sure, you may not win much, but fun is the goal. At least it is for me. I'm a die hard Ford man, but love to work on all of the above. I just like to build things that people say "you can't". Which is the case alot of times with a Ford.

So ya gotta be honest with yourself. If this truck is your daily driver, are you ready to commit it to the track? Do you have another truck or car to drive? Are you self sustaining, i.e. have shop or place to work with tools? Or do you just want to pull once or twice a year at a county event, then drive the truck the rest of the time.

Like I said, I'm not trying to scare you off. I just know that information about hard core Power Stroke stuff is tough to come by for the new guys. And alot of times, the BS from the "Power Stroke know it alls" plus heat from the Cummins/Duramax guys can cause you to not want to see your project throught. I've been there. The true enthusiests of diesel will always help you out with info no matter what make their alligence is to. So I want you to know, I'm here to help. And by no means am I the "End All" information source for Power Strokes. But you asked about building a puller only with a Stroke, and that's exactly what I'm doing right now. So it's all fresh on my mind. Not to mention, I'm VERY excited about it.....if you can't tell. LOL

I know someone with a 12v for sale for 1000 complete if you wanna go that route

National Association of Diesel Motorsports.

Okay, better question. Where are you wanting to pull? Who put's that pull on?

We gotta start with the rules, otherwise you are just building a truck to pull for exibition only. I'm not trying to overwhelm you with questions. Power Stroke pullers are rare for a reason. They are hard to make power with, and they are expensive. But with the right information, and people to work with, you can go out there and have as much fun as any Cummins or Duramax. Sure, you may not win much, but fun is the goal. At least it is for me. I'm a die hard Ford man, but love to work on all of the above. I just like to build things that people say "you can't". Which is the case alot of times with a Ford.

So ya gotta be honest with yourself. If this truck is your daily driver, are you ready to commit it to the track? Do you have another truck or car to drive? Are you self sustaining, i.e. have shop or place to work with tools? Or do you just want to pull once or twice a year at a county event, then drive the truck the rest of the time.

Like I said, I'm not trying to scare you off. I just know that information about hard core Power Stroke stuff is tough to come by for the new guys. And alot of times, the BS from the "Power Stroke know it alls" plus heat from the Cummins/Duramax guys can cause you to not want to see your project throught. I've been there. The true enthusiests of diesel will always help you out with info no matter what make their alligence is to. So I want you to know, I'm here to help. And by no means am I the "End All" information source for Power Strokes. But you asked about building a puller only with a Stroke, and that's exactly what I'm doing right now. So it's all fresh on my mind. Not to mention, I'm VERY excited about it.....if you can't tell. LOL

ok thats great to here and i try to stick my local rules up for ya to see and i would really love to see pics of your setup especially intercooler and stuff as i dont have one!http://www.kottpa.com/Web%20Pages/Street%20Legal%20Diesel/Street%20Legal%20Diesel%20Rules.htm

My first post in this thread has a link. It has all the pictures in it you want. However, I'm not running an intercooler. But if you need pics of an intercooler setup, try this link.

1996 Ford F350 4x2 - Intercooler

That's my first intercooler setup on these trucks.

Which class of that organization do you plan on running?

My first post in this thread has a link. It has all the pictures in it you want. However, I'm not running an intercooler. But if you need pics of an intercooler setup, try this link.

1996 Ford F350 4x2 - Intercooler

That's my first intercooler setup on these trucks.

Which class of that organization do you plan on running?

well i want to run work stock but at all santioned pulls i will have to run the 2.6 class so mainly 2.6 i guess correct me if wrong but the 66mm is about the biggest turbo to fit in the 2.6 class correct idk how they measure them?

Ditch the power stroke and go with a cummins.... or be totally different and try a d-max swap in the ford. Alot more power can be had out of those 2 engines for the money that you will wind up spending on the 7.3

you wpuldnt have any of them stock injectors left would you?