need help chip fuel ic

smok531

ok im brand new to 7.3s im looking at buying one as soon as i get my 12v sold...im looking at a 95 f350 extcb 5speed i kno i will need a iner cooler, im gonna get injectors honed and a chip, then turbo....but my ? is will i need to upgrade fuel system with lift pump like my 12v or no? if so is it hard what all do i need to replace? thanks in advance.

:thankyou2:

what kind of hp goals do you have. I think the stock system is fine untile you start getting around and above 400hp and then you probably need to upgrade it.

also what do you plan on doing with the truck.

Give us a call we can get you in the right direction from start to finish

i want a reliable 400 450hp truck im gonna be pulling...the only ? i guess im asking is what do i need todo to upgrade it and how much money bc i dont want to take a shot :kick: and in the wallet

With a ford your going to waste alot. power to dollar ratio. do some reasearch and get a 99 at least. Or get a killer deal on a old bodystyle cause they cost more to upgrade. can't afford one, wait!

ive got a great deal on the 95 im not worried about wasteing fuel i wont drive it much i hav other trucks...but i just want to make a old 7.3 run theres only one around here and its at the top of out street 2.6 class and is top 5 in our 2.8 class when jumps charger but i want to "GET IT, BUILD It,RUN IT, BREAK IT.

what class are you going to run in?
get a fuel system, inercooler, a good set of hybrid injectors, a custom chip, a beans dominator66 turbo, or a H2E setup, and a superduty hpop should put you right around your HP goal.

ok like i said im completely new what is a hpop and how do i upgrade fuel just like a dodge just a lift pump or what?

the HPOP is your high pressure oil pump. the injectors in the 7.3 and 6.0's use high pressure oil to push the fuel out of the tip of the injector. the 94-early 99 trucks havce a slightly smaller HPOP so when you start putting bigger injectors in the hpop has trouble keeping up. I know the 99.5 and up truck will bolt right into 96 through 99 trucks. however the 94's are a little differant and I'm not sure about the 95's hopefully some one else will chime in. if they are there are pretty easy fixes.
If a superduty HPOP isn't enough you can go to a big aftermarket single pump or even 2 hpops.

now there are several ways to get bigger injectors. you can stroke your currant injectors so they pump more fuel. you can go to differant injectors for instance ones out of dt 466 or dt530 engines. both of theses options have there advantages but they require the bigger HPOP setups.
the third way to get more fuel out of the injectors, is by taking the fuel side of a DT530 injector and put it in powerstroke injectors. this is called a hybrid injector. with these you dont use much more oil that a stock injector while pumping a lot more fuel. I ran a set of hybrids last year with a stock superduty pump and never ran out of high pressure oil.
there are also lots of optoptions on nozzle sizes just like there are in cummins, but I'm not going to get into that.

as for turbos the dominator 66 is a modified stock turbo so it bolts right in. but you will be pushing it to its limit at 400-450 hp but it can do it. I think they run about $1500
I ran a H2E last year. and it would wrork great in a 2.6 class with that HP. the only problem with them is they bolt on compleetly differant and require new pipeing and mounts. so they are a little more expensive. new H2E kits start at around $2200. but the good thing about the H2E is it is upgradable if you decide you want to go bigger.

my computer is acting up so I'm going to split this up.

anyway to upgrade your fuel system you basicly through everything from the tank to the heads away and start over. I even replaced the pickup in the tank but that may be over kill for you.
first you need to come up with an electric pump, I am running an aeromotive A1,000 pump, but there are many options. walbro makes a pump that is pretty cheep and can do the job, some guys will run 2 of them or even 2 superduty pumps. you can also run a fass pump or airdog system and that will take care of your filters too, you just have to make shure you get a pump that can push around 60psi.
if you dont get a fass or something like that you need to get a filter. I am runing a filter setup off of an over the road trucks and mounted it on the frame.
after the filter feed the fuel to the back of each head. then run a return line out of the front of the heads to a regulator. and return the excess fuel back to the take from there
I built my fuel system in a hurry so it isn't real pretty but here are some pictures
my new sump
sump.jpg

pump and filter
fuelsystem2.jpg

lines and regulator on top of my engine
fuelsystem1.jpg

^that is an H2E turbo by the way

Last edited:
as for chips just make sure you get a cumtom tuned chip set up for the mods you have.
I have been running one from Total diesel performance, but there are many other options available.
swamps, diesel inovations, dp tuner, wide open performance, and several others.
I'm not shure if empire diesel dose their own or not, but I'm sure they can hook you up with a good one if you deal with them on other things. he'll probably chime in shortly.

as for intercoolers the superduty ones 7.3 and 6.0's fit in there pretty good, you can either make your own pipeing, or buy a pipe and mounting kit from someone like Banks. If you run an H2E you can get them with the intercooler pipeing.
ic2.jpg
intercooler1.jpg

ic1.jpg

h2edone.jpg

since your probably confused as heck now:bang I'm going to PM you my phone number I may be able to explane it all better that way if you'd like

Last edited:
Back