Need Help from the LB7 guys! Or anyone who may know.

Big Swole

MegaInterceptor
GF's 04 Dmax laid down today on the side of the road on her.

Threw three codes:
P0205
P1621
P2149

When we cleared the codes with her BD it would run fine until you put just a little more then an idles worth of pedal to it. I could hear some "Popping" under the hood..

The CEL would come on and then the engine would cut power WAY down and sould like it was firing on about 4 cylinders.

Clear codes.....drive.......Same thing.

I was thinking that maybe it was fuel rail, cp3 related....So I had it towed to the local dealer to have the fuel filter changed ( Should NOT have had the dealer do it...Ugh!!! F'ng EXPENSIVE :bang)

New filter......NO Change......Drove it and the poping would start then the CEL....

Anyone have a clue here.......????

I'm having it towed to Garmon's for him to try to diagnose in the AM...But would love to know ahead of time what I may be looking at here as far as possible cost / repairs..

GF's 04 Dmax laid down today on the side of the road on her.

Threw three codes:
P0205 inj # 5 control circut
P1621- control mod long term mem performance
P2149- inj positive voltage control circut group 2

sounds like either soilniod went bad or harnes came loose, or frayed wires

#5 is 3rd back on PS side

damn dude...so who gets to drive the tdi now?

Had to let her have it to drive until I can get her's repaired.

sounds like either soilniod went bad or harnes came loose, or frayed wires

#5 is 3rd back on PS side

Solenoid on the injector??

#5 ............Yeah the noise sounded like it was coming from the passenger side under the hood.

Had to let her have it to drive until I can get her's repaired.

Solenoid on the injector??

#5 ............Yeah the noise sounded like it was coming from the passenger side under the hood.

top half is the injector is almost identical to the 04-05 CR 5.9s in style
if its making noise.. might be stuck open and flooding out the cylinder
its hard to believe that the injector is closed if its makeing noise
the control wiring is right by the fuel rail it will kill #5 and #7 if you disconnect it. its a flat 4 style water proof connector

sorry bout the spelling...

top half is the injector is almost identical to the 04-05 CR 5.9s in style
if its making noise.. might be stuck open and flooding out the cylinder
its hard to believe that the injector is closed if its makeing noise
the control wiring is right by the fuel rail it will kill #5 and #7 if you disconnect it. its a flat 4 style water proof connector

sorry bout the spelling...

lol.......I can't spell worth a chit either....!

Well, the funny thing is that when you clear the codes it runs fine until some throttle input....Free reving seems fine, But put it in gear and drive it..It starts popping and then throws the CEL / Codes....

So if the injector(s) was acting up , just clearing the codes wouldn't fix it...

poping out the exhuast or intake?

Honestly it doesn't sound like either...Def. not the exhaust.

It sounds almost like an electrical pop (arcing) under the hood...Pass. side mainly..

Jeff said it could be the FICM........? not sure about all this Dmax lingo..

I guess I should have checked all the harnesses first..

FICM-fuel injector control modual... setup 12VDC to 98VDC to fire the injectors its located front PS side of the engine usually under then intake. bout 6x8"

FICM-fuel injector control modual... setup 12VDC to 98VDC to fire the injectors its located front PS side of the engine usually under then intake. bout 6x8"

They go bad often?

or make popping noises?

If so, how expensive?

Any one with EFI live should be able to turn off the injectors and find the bad one for you.

Any one with EFI live should be able to turn off the injectors and find the bad one for you.

Jeff does have EFI on a laptop...I hope he can have good luck finding it...

I just hope its cheap....But thats not my luck!

Anybody else know or heard of something under the hood ( mainly pass. side ) that pops and then throws those codes / CEL..?

Not sure which would be cheaper. The #5 injector or the FICM.

Anybody else know or heard of something under the hood ( mainly pass. side ) that pops and then throws those codes / CEL..?

Not sure which would be cheaper. The #5 injector or the FICM.

Have the injectors been replaced in this truck?

What can happen is that a mechanic in a hurry can either over tighten and crack an injector solenoid or leave loose one of the screw on connectors. Both can make the noise and cause the symptoms you describe. Hard to find because it is all under the valve cover.

My best advice if use EFI Live scan tool to shut one injector of at a time. The passenger side cylinders are 1 3 5 7. But you may still not find it.

It has been my experience that FICMs either work or they don't.

Have the injectors been replaced in this truck?

What can happen is that a mechanic in a hurry can either over tighten and crack an injector solenoid or leave loose one of the screw on connectors. Both can make the noise and cause the symptoms you describe. Hard to find because it is all under the valve cover.

My best advice if use EFI Live scan tool to shut one injector of at a time. The passenger side cylinders are 1 3 5 7. But you may still not find it.

It has been my experience that FICMs either work or they don't.

Thanks

Yes, the injectors were replaced under warranty but I can't remember at what mileage...It was at least around 150K......Now has 205k

Make sure and check the wires as they come out from under the valve cover as they may have been pinched when they got put back together and its just taken awhile for them to rub through the insulation. What you could be hearing is them arcing to ground when trying to fire the injector.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Turns out that when the injectors were replace under warranty a long while ago, the Dbag that did the work musta left some chit loose in there. Finally just worked it's way loose completely (injector bolts,etc) and it musta been arcing like said above.

Going to pick it up in the AM....

Thank you Jeff Garmon and Kyle (Sticky) for taking care of H's truck for her!!

Back