need help selecting turbos...

nm50

for a dual compound setup (2 for each side). this will be on a 7.3. The goal is to be able to support well over 500-1000 hp with quickest possible response. The turbos have to be Garrett, and preferrably BB. I would like to be able to control mild to wild with boost controller / chip. I understand the goal will take many supporting mods (fuel, oil, studs, electronics), but would like to understand the turbo needs now so I can price and plan. Call me crazy if you like or help if you can. Thanks!

500-1000hp is a big difference, and unless you decide to convert it to a commonrail system (IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!!!) then with our fuel system it is extremely unlikely, and i don't believe that a superchips will get you there

ok ok if you really want to build a HUGE powerful 7.3 you have to get..... rods, crank, low-compression pistons, full exhaust, intake, throw out superchips, get HUGE injectors, get awesome tuning from tony wildman or any other custom tuner, huge custom compound setup with new exhaust manifold, intake manifold, etc etc... uhh am i missing anything?? oh and a shot of NOS will easily get you to over 700 after that, without tuning

You will need some other form of fuel delivery or stupid tiny turbos. Why not find a good set of proven compounds?

Timbeaux38 said:
You will need some other form of fuel delivery or stupid tiny turbos. Why not find a good set of proven compounds?

Xmen

the reason for multiple turbos was to achieve very quick boost (small turbos) and have a broad powerband (large turbos). the compound setup is the obvious choice. studying the engine compartment, there is lots of room on top of the engine (electric fuel would make even more), but very little exiting the compartment. Routing two smaller exhaust pipes would be much easier than a single large pipe for exhaust. smaller turbos are also cheaper. this would also allow for a true dual exhaust, which is just cool.

nm50 said:
the reason for multiple turbos was to achieve very quick boost (small turbos) and have a broad powerband (large turbos). the compound setup is the obvious choice. studying the engine compartment, there is lots of room on top of the engine (electric fuel would make even more), but very little exiting the compartment. Routing two smaller exhaust pipes would be much easier than a single large pipe for exhaust. smaller turbos are also cheaper. this would also allow for a true dual exhaust, which is just cool.

Buying two turbos will be cheaper than buying four. You want to build a 500 to 1000 hp pwerstroke out of a 7.3 and you are already worried about trying to save a dime. I won't call you crazy or anything, I will just say," Good luck." You

that would take alot of lower end work to get that to ever hold togeather and set of magical injectors and PCM, blah blah blah, what i would recomend put a 1468 motor in it with sheid fuel system, hope you have 20 thousand to spend no matter what you do.

I understand where you are comeing from, but I think you will end up dumping a whole truckload of money on a setup that won't meet your expectations. Also, I don't know that a turbo on each side would spool any better than a reagular compound setup because you only have half the motor to spool it.

oldschoolPSD said:
I understand where you are comeing from, but I think you will end up dumping a whole truckload of money on a setup that won't meet your expectations. Also, I don't know that a turbo on each side would spool any better than a reagular compound setup because you only have half the motor to spool it.

i was thinking the exact same thing

i think they would spool faster then you think but not as fast as a true compound setup, If you have plenty of money and willing to take the effort more power to you.

nm50 said:
for a dual compound setup (2 for each side). this will be on a 7.3. The goal is to be able to support well over 500-1000 hp with quickest possible response.

4 turbos?

So, 2 sets on each side. Realize you are cutting the motor in half when you do that. So, you want better response with using smaller turbos, but you are cutting the engine in half to drive them. So smaller turbos, for a V8 = normal turbos for a 4 cylinder. Little to no improvement in spool time. Might want to think about that theory a little more.

If you wanted to go really wild, could probably set up a 3 turbo system. One really small turbo to get going, then once the second one is spooling, bypass the first small turbo (intake and exhaust) and have the remaining turbos be the normal compound turbo. That will give you off the line and then your top end. I have never seen it but that would achieve your need for a wide boost range.

The goal of 500hp to 1,000hp is huge. I would try to narrow that down to a 200hp range. That can be achieved via NOS but 500hp to 1,000hp is going to be a huge range with our current fuel system. I don’t know of any injectors that will give you 500 and also 1,000. And the 20k mark someone mentioned earlier, that is probably low for a 1,000hp build up.

Glasseater said:
what's WOP site??

The site isnt too good right now they are workin on improving, As far as four turbos I guess none of you have seen the 4 turbo rail Wide Open is building :rockwoot:

Back