Need input on turbo choice

Downtownbrown

Ive been wanting to swap turbos for a while now, need some input on a couple different routes i may want to entertain. I have a he351cw and a ht3b with 32cm housing sitting in the shop. Been reading up some on wills junker drag truck back when it had the 351/4b and am thinking i like that route much better. My biggest fear is that it would be a torque monster and the 5spd wouldnt even last the first week.

Also have Been thinking of doing a s475 as a single instead and maybe the 5spd could last until i get an auto trans built next spring? The truck is about to get a shortbed and will be used only for street/strip.

What do yall think the best choice would be?
A:junk the 3b and build compounds with a 4b?
B: buy an s475 to run as a single (is it the .90housing i need? Or the 1.10?)
C:stick with the 3b and go bigger later?

depends on power goals. nothing wrong with your current set-up to get you well into the 500+ range

a single 475 will be a PITA

depends on power goals. nothing wrong with your current set-up to get you well into the 500+ range

a single 475 will be a PITA

Id like to be in the 550-600 range as that is what the clutch is rated for. Later down the road id like to make it a dedicated drag truck thats why i was thinking about a 475 as i could maybe re use it in a bigger compound setup? Would 600hp be asking to much out of a ht3b?

it would be close. I bet you have a lot more hp on tap than you think you do.

Not on tap yet. Ive got most of what i need to fab it up just trying to find the time to get it all done is going to be hard on its own.

Fast spooling compounds will make enough torque to kill your trans no matter which set you decide on. A single 475 will be miserable to drive on the street with a 5spd. You either must practice self control with twins or find a more desirable single.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The 475 isn't even an option, will suck bad for your setup, like dam near undrivable. I've put over 200k miles on a 5sp in the last couple work trucks with 500 and over and never broke one. I wasn't an idiot with my trucks, no boosted launches, but ran them fairly hard and towed hard. Other than a good clutch and 5th gear nut upgrade.

Not that boosted launches are idiotic, just being these were my work trucks. Just turned 43 and reread that and was like dam I sound old, ha.

Not that boosted launches are idiotic, just being these were my work trucks. Just turned 43 and reread that and was like dam I sound old, ha.
LOL i tried a boost launch one time at the track and ended up with a 4 second 60', needless to say i spun slightly. Are the 2wd's prone to the 5th gear nut? I thought that was only on the 4wd transmissions?

all nv4500's will loosen the 5th gear nut. once you fix that, then you gotta worry about shredding 5th gear teeth.

he351 over ht3b will make you very happy. I had that setup on my 5 speed 01 a few years back. It was a pile of fun. Put a single 366 on when I ppumped that truck and it was okish but didnt even compare.

The 32 housing is pretty big most run a 26 we ran a 22 it was much more fun and 700 is no problem for a 3b

I made 886hp with a s363 over ht3b. It was a blast to drive but did break a stock rod after making all the power down low on my 06. I do have a 26cm undivided housing in the garage for an ht3b if your interested.

I made 886hp with a s363 over ht3b. It was a blast to drive but did break a stock rod after making all the power down low on my 06. I do have a 26cm undivided housing in the garage for an ht3b if your interested.

With a common rail. Does not help those of us with mechanical injection.

Back