need new primary turbo ....not sure if i should go bigger. any input?

If you are running a VE, you need an S480 about as much as you need lower injection pressure.

THIS^

Smaller primary as most would think. Narrow window of oppertunity to make power. Don't forget rpm vs fueling with a ve.

And THIS^

I know saying you have a big billet turbo sounds cool, but thats about where the cool factor ends...when your trucks a turd to drive because you didn't size a charger to fit your needs, but more your wants.

I did not notice it was a ve powered truck.

I was simply speaking on my experience. I wouldn't run anything less than a 80

And I've tried to buy a billet wheel from jose many times, he talks me out of it everytime.

I'd like to go back and push one of the 75 mm S400's w/83mm turbine and 1.1 housing a little harder to see what it would really do. It was one of the best primary chargers i tried and was a hoot to drive. Great daily driver, towed very well, and was a blast to blow through the tires when I felt like it. Unfortunately I went bigger when i hit 700hp. It still had more. I hated going back to the large turbine and 80mm compressor wheel but I wanted to drop the torque level down so I didn't break things when I added more fuel.

I'd like to go back and push one of the 75 mm S400's w/83mm turbine and 1.1 housing a little harder to see what it would really do. It was one of the best primary chargers i tried and was a hoot to drive. Great daily driver, towed very well, and was a blast to blow through the tires when I felt like it. Unfortunately I went bigger when i hit 700hp. It still had more. I hated going back to the large turbine and 80mm compressor wheel but I wanted to drop the torque level down so I didn't break things when I added more fuel.
Hearing this^ makes me wanna spend 500 to get a 87 turbine and housing for my 82. I'm kinda worried about surge issues. Could someone explain surging with a primary?

62/71/14 with S480 87mm turbine 1.10ar with no surging on my fiance's 03 CR

Is the 82's compressor exducer bigger than the the 80's?

Seems like 2mm wouldn't push it over the edge but not speaking from experience.

Last edited:
Hearing this^ makes me wanna spend 500 to get a 87 turbine and housing for my 82. I'm kinda worried about surge issues. Could someone explain surging with a primary?

Or save the charger you have and just find a used 80/87/1.25 or 1.1. Sell the one you end up putting on the shelf.

I tried an 80/87/1.1 and a 78/87/1.1 on mine and didn't like either one. The 87turbine didn't seem to spool that great with the fuel i had(around 700hp).