need some clarification

smokeisfun

still learnin
I am very new to the common rail world, but i keep reading on here if you bump up rail pressure or change out CP3 pumps then you will get more power. I thought that with common rail that the pressure is always there, just need to command the injectors to stay open longer, open sooner or change the size of the injectors to be able to flow more, i know im missing something just hoping to have some one better explain it to me, thanks.

programmers can 1. increase pressure to injectors yes increasing fuel output. 2. they can open them sooner/longer you are correct. "The safest and best way to make power with reliability of not melting something down is to run a large injector with a short pulse width, and a large amoutn of pressure." -Chris at E.D.

One problem chris had mentioned is programmers such as smarty get alot of their power by advancing timing a TON! This gives them more time to keep the injector open for fuel output. He said this is very unsafe, and dangerous as we all know..

Last edited:
ok, i understand that, but why would the cp3 pump need changed or tweaked, and what could be tweaked on the pump to gain more power. thanks though

a stock pump will only flow so much, you upgrade it to flow more.

ok, sorry to keep beating this, but so then if you only change the pump, put the biggest baddest pump on you can find, theoretically that wont change a thing unless you change the injectors, and change the programming for more advance timing and long injections correct?

ok, sorry to keep beating this, but so then if you only change the pump, put the biggest baddest pump on you can find, theoretically that wont change a thing unless you change the injectors, and change the programming for more advance timing and long injections correct?

Bingo. More fuel more air more power. Upgrade injectors!

As you increase timing or bigger injectors the stock pump will not keep the pressure up because you are now needing or calling for more fuel. Same reason you can't run a stock lift pump. When injectors open sooner or longer means it needs more pressure to keep up and the stock pump just won't do much more after 500 hp

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ok cool, thanks for all the help, i didnt realize the stock pump wouldnt pump that much volume, thanks again.