Need some Cummins 4bt tech and advice

Jess@FarmboyFab

DC's idol
I have a 74 Ford Bronco that I plan on building into a crawler; I just recently blew the 302 that was in it. That is a great motor to get what im looking for (power wise)...but i like trying new things, and I really like the idea of the diesel comming in at low rpms, more torque, etc for slow speed crawling.

Im looking to get a 3.9L turbo i think it is...its showing up around 130hp, cant find much torque numbers....but really besides the point.

How do you think it would stack up to the 5.0L gas motor that im running? Worth the swap? How are these motors in general, seem to have a small following, but the people seem to love them.

What would i be looking at for a transmission? What type?

What do you think overall cost might be?

Appreciate any info....heres the candidate:

n40508875_30446577_8686.jpg

I'm a little too tired to think right now, but I'll find the information tomorrow that I saved with dimensions and weights of each engine. I have a 4bt sitting here with a Ford clutch assembly, bellhousing and Borg Warner T19 4 speed manual transmission. Bought it from turbomatt1. From my cross-referencing adventures, I found that the 75-79 F150's and broncos were available with the T19 tranny, IIRC. The engines came stock with 105hp 400ish tq. That's easily increased to a moderate 175-200 with a few tweaks. The turbos that come on them are junk, big housings, small wheels. They like HY35's that come stock on 2000-2002 diesel Ram's with automatics.

I dunno if Josh (12vchevydually) has pictures of the '99 C1500 that they replaced the 305 with a 4bt. If he does, that would be my favorite 4BT swap so far. I'll post more once I figure out what I'm trying to say.

The new diesel power has a 4bt bronco. Not sure how much it will help but you can maybe get some ideas.

Did a 4 bt swap in a 68 bronco. The hx30 turbo is trash....hy35 fits with the intercooled motors exhaust manifold. Diesel power mag has pic of bronco with that manifold. Hy35 turbo, lil' bit bigger sticks, 15 degrees timing,pump mods, and 3 inch straight pipe and our 4bt made 220hp and 480 torque. Get the inline bosch motor not the rotary pump motor. alot of parts changing if you do.

The frito lay trucks came with 4bt's and th400's.

Thanks for the info guys. Seems like a worthy/doable swap now; the only thing im worried about most is setting up all of the fuel system...from the cell up to the motor....but im going to go to that listed site and see what i can find.

Sootman, overall impression of the swap? Glad yall went diesel? Do you remember about what $ you dumped into that setup?

thanks again guys

Jess@FarmboyFab said:
Thanks for the info guys. Seems like a worthy/doable swap now; the only thing im worried about most is setting up all of the fuel system...from the cell up to the motor....but im going to go to that listed site and see what i can find.

Sootman, overall impression of the swap? Glad yall went diesel? Do you remember about what $ you dumped into that setup?

thanks again guys

I sold the guy a Good core we had here at Cummins. I sold him all the upgraded parts....timing cover for P7100, actual pump, manifold,turbo,etc... I think he got the parts for 2200.00. Swap is awesome. His bronco could climb a wall.:hehe: with the low end he has. If you want to "build" the motor 12v stuff interchanges on it. Just buy 4 of everything.:rockwoot: He might have about 5 grand in the swap.:Cheer:

k30 said:
pick up the new issue of "diesel power"!;)

Just did last week for another reason...flipping through i saw the bronco, got pissed and threw it at my girlfriend; i hate being beat to the punch LOL

Jess@FarmboyFab said:
Just did last week for another reason...flipping through i saw the bronco, got pissed and threw it at my girlfriend; i hate being beat to the punch LOL
well at least you can counter with a bigger punch.

i thought i had the original idea of putting a 12v cummins into a k30.

... i hate J&H!!!!!

Last edited:
k30 said:
well at least you can counter with a bigger punch.

i thought i had the original idea of putting a 12v cummins into a k30.

... i hate J&H!!!!!
And you thought they were the first?:hehe:

FWIW, most turbocharged CAC 3.9's are rated around 110-125hp and 345-375 ft-lbs.

- Matt

Last edited:
I did the story on the bronco in queston....nice guy and seemed like a great swap for him...the 351 got 7mpg, the 4bt got almost 30...he said having a manual really killed his boost when off-roading (shifting was a no-no) though. I think he was switching to a built auto.