Need some electrical tips/tricks

gulfcoastkustom

My park lights and dash lights stay on when the batteries are connected. I have tried pulling fuses, relays and the headlight switch itself and the lights still stay on. I noticed that the trailer relay clicks as soon as I connect the batteries as well. The only way I have found that kills the front park lamps is by removing the shorted plug that goes on the extra headlight wire for sport model trucks.

The headlight switches in these trucks are prone to failure. The wire terminals will melt and cause issues. Pull the switch again and disconnect wires and check for overheated terminals.

The headlight switches in these trucks are prone to failure. The wire terminals will melt and cause issues. Pull the switch again and disconnect wires and check for overheated terminals.

Thanks for the tip. I put a new headlight switch in it about a week ago when I started messing with this park lamp situation. Are you saying to check the terminals on the plug side of the headlight switch? I have it completed disconnected and the park lamps are still coming on. This trailer relay clicking as soon as the battery is connected is really stumping me too! I also tried disconnecting the plug that is located in the driver front fender well area. Any other thoughts? Could it be a module of some sort?

You near the coast where salt water mist is a problem? Here in NY where they use salt on the roads in the winter, I've seen many issues like this caused by corroded trailer plugs. Either the plug itself, or the wiring within a few inches of the plug.

You near the coast where salt water mist is a problem? Here in NY where they use salt on the roads in the winter, I've seen many issues like this caused by corroded trailer plugs. Either the plug itself, or the wiring within a few inches of the plug.

That is good advice, I have the trailer harness completely disconnected and it still has the symptoms. It the weirdest thing