Need some help diagnosing this Hard Start problem

A compression issue right across the board fits. Didnt get smokin hot did it?

Thats what I was thinking, but the OP seems pretty thorough on his description, I was figuring it would get mentioned if it got too hot at one point...

Also, has the problem come on suddenly, or has it been getting worse and worse (longer crank time...)?

Last edited:
Smokin'

It white smokes during cranking suggesting its getting fuel? Like a healthy amount? A compression issue right across the board fits. Didnt get smokin hot did it?

Yes it's getting plenty of fuel. Yes a healthy amt. I'm concerned after almost a minute of crankin that the cylinder pressure must be sky high,.. and then finally it will start. No didn't get hot,... 190*. It runs so frickin good once it's started.

How long a problem?

Thats what I was thinking, but the OP seems pretty thorough on his description, I was figuring it would get mentioned if it got too hot at one point...

Also, has the problem come on suddenly, or has it been getting worse and worse (longer crank time...)?

I started plugging it in due to colder weather sometime last Oct and plugged in all winter. Only now it just doesn't start right ever since.

Just skimmed the thread (dinner time) - but I'd look at an aspect of the dual pumps as a causal factor.

Yes it's getting plenty of fuel. Yes a healthy amt. I'm concerned after almost a minute of crankin that the cylinder pressure must be sky high,.. and then finally it will start. No didn't get hot,... 190*. It runs so frickin good once it's started.

Did you scan tool the rail pressure on a cold start when it has the problem?

Low rail pressure is still pretty suspect, rail sensor could be reading higher than normal.

Cranking speed would be in there, it is cranking as fast as normal right?

If the scan tool showed good rail pressure and still no start, I'd swap the rail sensor.

Still no start, then when it was cold I'd give it a good shot of either, if it fired right up then I'd be looking at compression.

Resolved.

Low voltage to the #1 solenoid grid heater. In English,... buildup under the little rubber terminal caps on the solenoid that you/I didn't see until I rolled them back.

Tks for the help guys.

Low voltage to the #1 solenoid grid heater. In English,... buildup under the little rubber terminal caps on the solenoid that you/I didn't see until I rolled them back.

Tks for the help guys.

Sweet.

Thanks for sharing man! Glad you figured it out.. Gonna clean mine for preventive problems down the road.

Tks for the help guys.

You have to be kidding, my truck's running 15:1 no grids at all and fires up like nothing. But if it works it works. It should have popped a code for that.

What cam are you running? Wondering if it isnt bleading off some compression.

Gee Joe,....

Everyone knows these trucks are just alike.

I don't know what my compression is but the head has been shaved twice.

Cam is Fletcher's Diesel Pros.

Back