Need some help with the Ppump 24v

Light It Up

Ok I got everything put together and I let it run at 1500rpm for 10. It runs good untill you start to hit 2k then it starts to chug and miss and white smoke bad. I took it for a drive and it drive ok untill 2k so I got into it a bit and after it hit 3k it seemed to smoothin out but it chugs and misses and backfires after 2k. Is it my timing.

Also I noticed some oil on the floor after I ran it about a half dollar amout and its coming from the very back of the motor. Is there some typ of seal or plug that it could be leaking from?

Thanks Guys.

I cant help you on the pump but the oil could of come from the freeze plug on the back side of the cam. I would look to see if it is coming from there.

Sounds like your timing is off. The oil maybe something simple like your valve cover gasket

I say timing is off too, oil leak could be your tapet cover also

Ok so I need to ADVANCE or RETARD the timing. Im runnin 250hp vp injectors with .093 line and stock tubes. Im gana try and find the source of the leak today. Thanks

One thing I've noticed is that there is a big difference between timing at the pump and timing at the injector. So while your pump might be set at 17*, the timing at the injector might only be like 12* (varies depending on the setup). That's why I'm gonna set mine up around 20*. Should make the timing at the injector high enough it should start fine.

Ok I went out and without my timing gauge I advaced it a bit and it runs 10x better than it did last night. It still sounds like it coiuld be advaced a bit more but it has a constant lope at idle. I need to bump the idle up a bit also.

Man that 4kgs is AWESOME. I cant wait untill pulling season. lol might be gettin ahead of myself but still Im EXCITED!!!!! haha

Hey guys my truck has a miss to it and didnt know what you thought. Im still runnin vp injectors and it almost sounds like there popping off late or somethin. Could it be my pump? I think my pump is leaking oil somewhere.

Also on the hwy my truck is very jerky. Is that the 4Kgsk? I dnt thnk I could daily drive it cuz its so jerky on the street.

Also on the hwy my truck is very jerky. Is that the 4Kgsk? I dnt thnk I could daily drive it cuz its so jerky on the street.

Get some heavier return springs on your throttle assembly. It will make your petal a little firmer but it should take the jerk out of it.

There are quite a few places it could be coming from by just saying the pump?

There has been some discussion on 24v injectors in p-pump applications. It has some good information to look through.

Last edited:
No prob. we have all had that at one time.
Let me know if you need some help or have questions. I don't know that I will be in Kearney any time soon, but I may be?

Ya all the help would be awesome. I wish I could figure the miss out. It may just be that I need to change the pop off press for my injectors. It sounds like when I get to 3000-4000 rpm it smooths out. I may need to advace my timing a bit more also.

Lack of fuel pressure is the other thing (besides a blown HG) that could cause white smoke, but it sounds like it was timing.

If its a sure miss you should be able to narrow it down to one cylinder by cracking injector lines to do a cut-out test. If you find a cylinder that is definitely missing pull that injector, inspect it, and swap it with the injector from a good cylinder and see if the miss follows the injector.

If you get your injector pops reset the shop should also check for leaking injectors that could also cause a rough running cylinder.

And I would get some tools and try to recheck your timing. You may need to try spill-port timing the pump or find someone with a timing light.

Ok so when I crack an injector should it change when I crack it or how do I know if one is back? Thanks

When you crack a line on a good injector you'll hear the motor change pitch and start running crappy. When you crack a line on a bad injector you'll hear little if any change in noise.

If your pop pressures are still at vp pressures, that is delaying your timing a fair amount. I'd bump it another 5 degrees based upon what the timing chart says it should be. Maybe that's where you are now?