Need to advise a friend, Edge?

nrose07

I love high sulfur
Buddy has a 01' Excursion bone stock. Wants gauges and abit more power, not wild just a few mpg and 50-75hp. My first thought was a Edge with color screen, but I realize that they don't reprogram the tranny. So on the cheap, what does gauges, tranny, and 50-100hp? Yes, I've searched. Thanks you!

i could be completly mistaken i'm no expert but i can't think off the top of my head of a programmer for a 7.3 that has guages and tunes the transmission. all my trucks have been manuals though and don't require anything through a tuner so there very well might be one.

Analog gauges & a 6 position chip from your choice of vendor. Thoroughbred Diesel was haven't a clearence sale on TS 6Pos chips last week for $200.

DO NOT waste money on a Edge for a 7.3L just my personal opinion.

Friends don't let friends buy an edge for there powerstroke!

They are known to eat trannys.

Gear head all the way

tunes for friend

I love my DP tunes. A little touchy but make a huge difference in power.

Ts all the way

Only if you hate your trans. Everyone will rip on me for this, but if you want a cheap programmer with trans tuning, the old Superchips tuner is tried and true, and will outrun an off the shelf TS 6 position while running cleaner and cooler, and get better mileage. That is based on my own personal experience.

Also the TS 6 position is notorious for frying ECM's, I have personally seen this happen 3 times with the TS, on different trucks, in real life. I didn't just read and repeat this like half the people on here..

I have the cts evolution and love it!!!!! But I cheated and had power hungry performance do my tunes lol

what got smoke said and the 6 pos switches dont fry ecms put many of them in and no problems at all.DONT BUY AN EDGE WASTE OF $.

6 postion chip and egt, trans and boost gauge is by far the best option. I wouldn't run dp tunes imo.

what got smoke said and the 6 pos switches dont fry ecms put many of them in and no problems at all.DONT BUY AN EDGE WASTE OF $.

Guess it was just coincidence then that all three trucks (only trucks I've seen do this BTW) that fried ECM's had a TS :rolleyes:. Why would I make that up?

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't true. If you refuse to listen to people that post real life experience on the forum, why are you even here?

I've never been on an airplane but I know they really do work!

Only if you hate your trans. Everyone will rip on me for this, but if you want a cheap programmer with trans tuning, the old Superchips tuner is tried and true, and will outrun an off the shelf TS 6 position while running cleaner and cooler, and get better mileage. That is based on my own personal experience.

LMAO...I was just about to post that! I worked out of a 99 7.3 that had the hot Superchips tune on it. Then the owner lost the damn tuner, so it was stuck that way. We drove the piss out of it, towed heavy, etc. Always watched the gauges, and the EGT's were always in check (with stock exhaust). Sold it (running great) with 400k miles, 260k of them with that tune loaded. It went through exactly one transmission the whole 400k; we swapped in a Jasper reman, and that was it.

That damn thing was surprisingly fast, too.

Ive had great luck with the TS chip, and the superchips has ran great as well.

One very important thing to remember with 7.3 programmers/chips (I can call it that, that is how chip got started, because it is a chip that plugs in) is that when you plug it into the ECM, the truck needs some time to learn it and get used to it. If you program a truck with a Superchip, it might not be all that impressive at first. Leave it on there and drive it. The more it runs, and get turned on and off, the more it will learn and adapt. After some time, the trans will love that Superchip, it will shift perfect and haul the mail for what it is.

With a flip chip like the TS, every single time you switch it, the truck gets confused. That is why they destroy transmissions, it never gets used to the settings. Different power levels have different settings in the trans. If you keep flipping it around (and you inevitably will) the trans will slam gears and get lost between gears and just be unhappy. It will also throw the check engine light constantly, and sometimes even go into limp mode. I was told this straight from TS long ago, and have seen all of it happen just as they warned it would.

This is based on my experience 6-11 years ago so maybe the TS 6 position has improved, but I don't see any way around this, regardless of who tunes it. Unless all levels have the same trans settings, and maybe they do now, but they didn't before.

I have owned 2 7.3's, I have 2 brothers that have both had 2 7.3's, and my dad has had 2. That is 8 of them in my immediate family, every single one has had some sort of programmer/chip/module. I have been out of the 7.3 game for a long time now, and spend very little time in the 7.3 forum. That said I don't think this information has been covered much, but I could be wrong. Sorry for the long read, but I think its time something useful was posted, not just get this or get that with no info behind it, by people that have likely only tried 1 or 2 different brands. It's easy to say the TS is great, when you haven't tried anything else. Heck I thought it was great power wise until my one brother had it on his truck set to highest setting, lined up to my other brother with the Superchip set on highest setting, Superchip truck flat embarrassed the TS. Both F350, both 2003 model, same truck. Yes I am talking off the shelf tunes, all there was back then. TS smoked like a train and Superchip ran almost clean as stock. TS truck also had intake and 5 inch, Superchip had stock intake, stock paper filter, gutted stock exhaust.

I am not trying to bash TS. Ok rant over, take it however you like.

Back