need to make 400hp, whats it gonna take?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Still Learning
right now i have

-BHAF, 4" straight to 5" miters, AFC moded FF, silencer ring MIA, 215 injectors, 100 plate FF, Haisley 5k, 131 DVs, 20.75*, Armstrong Performance header, KDP tabbed, 18.5cm exh housing, taurus electric fan, partial fuel system

whats it gonna take to make 400? i should have some 370s in soon, i have some full cuts ill run, and ill have a clutch in this weekend.

i have 305/70-16 BFG MTs on now but might run some 245/75-16 on the dyno.

what will it take to make 400? im also going to drop timing to 18* and i might turn my barrels.

Garrett

You can make that with what you already have if you tune it.

Tune it? Whats that?That can only be done in nor cal Brad, I have heard its a waste of time.

Spend some time messing with plates, and maybe try and get some 181s.

you think 181s will make more power than full cuts? i ran 191s and went to full cuts and they made more power than the 191s.

it will have a little more AFC tuning and run no plate. rack plug should help with full travel as well.

Garrett

I certainly wouldn't run 370s and full cuts with a stock turbo...

I'm with Brad...

I certainly wouldn't run 370s and full cuts with a stock turbo...

I'm with Brad...

ill do it for the dyno if it will get me more power. though i may have some 191s and some different injectors by then. dyno day isnt until jan 23rd or 30th so i have some time to work on it.

Garrett

With 215's and 191's you should hit 400 easy with some tuning. Might want to drop the timing to 18* or so for the sake of the headgasket...

With 215's and 191's you should hit 400 easy with some tuning. Might want to drop the timing to 18* or so for the sake of the headgasket...

i have the head retorqued. its been fine for a while like this now. though im going to drop to 18* anyways to see how it goes. if it makes more power ill bump it back up though.

Garrett

Can you go into a little detail?

I made 337/772 with whats in my signature. Just running the stock lift pump and the stock turbo then. Where would the extra 60+hp come from?

Eric

My old 95' made a solid 400hp with full cut dvs, 5x16 injectors, afc gutted, plate removed, 16cm exh housing on stock hx35.

My old 95' made a solid 400hp with full cut dvs, 5x16 injectors, afc gutted, plate removed, 16cm exh housing on stock hx35.

good lord, I would hope so!!!! I made 535 w/ 5x14 injectors and 181's, custom fuel plate, AFC half forward, etc.

please don't take tuning advice from this guy :eek:

Really Forrest, u did 535 on a stock 35? hmmm i know guys that have a hard time hitting that with hx40s or 62mm

yeah, i was gonna say. im gonna shoot for 600+ on 5x.014s. not with the stock turbo of coarse.

as is, if i lug it down to about 1500rpm and go WOT i can be full boost(35+psi) by 1800 rpm. if i could hit 400 what would my torque look like? also, the header will be wrapped and it might get an exhaust housing and or header blanket too.

Garrett

Last edited:
I've run the t4 version of that header and comparing the spool up from the header to going to a pdi t4 cast manifold was a big difference. Difference being the turbo came on from 0-10 alot faster with the cast manifold and from 10 to peak boost faster with the header. The difference from 0-10 though was more substantial. The reason I bring this up is the fact that you're going to want to get that stock turbo going as fast as possible for 400. JMHO

If you're only shooting for 400 i'd leave the delivery valves alone as well, once again just my opinion. Good luck!

Oh, and if you get all the rack you can out of that injection pump with a rack plug and no plate granted it's not a 215 pump with 26+ timing I think you can crack it with your current injectors.

And lastly, don't forget the afc tweaks.

With as much fuel as you have I wouldn't be that concerned with conserving exhaust energy. I would save your money for a real turbo.

Make sure your filters are clean and set the AFC up a little tight and you should be fine.

yeah, i was gonna say. im gonna shoot for 600+ on 5x.014s. not with the stock turbo of coarse.

as is, if i lug it down to about 1500rpm and go WOT i can be full boost(35+psi) by 1800 rpm. if i could hit 400 what would my torque look like? also, the header will be wrapped and it might get an exhaust housing and or header blanket too.

Garrett

400hp @ 1800rpm comes out to 1167lb-ft, much more reasonable then the 1400lb-ft it would take to make 400hp@1500rpm. With that turbo you'll make a LOT of torque down low but you won't have much in the higher rpms.

im not trying to hit 400 only. if i can do more i would be happy.

so should i say need 400+hp?

131DVs will be alright?

i have my AFC set a little tight. i like it that way and havent messed with it since i first modded it and set it. good fuel control down low to keep it clean but once it starts coming on its good to go. ill be doing the rest of the mods to it soon. flipped/ground washer and i think thats about it.

since the header comes on better from 10-full boost ill be good. it will be right around 10psi when the dyno will load. i think im going to have him pull it down to 1500 and then load it.

Garrett

Back