need to pull the engine

Cord

I need to pull the engine from my truck so it can be rebuilt. Should I pull the engine-transmission-transfercase as an assembly, or should I split the engine and transmission? If I split them, how do I support the transmission so the engine will realign with it? Or, do I need to pull the transmission? If so, how do I get the shifter off?

Sounds like you maybe in a little over your head? It is great to want to learn to work on your own truck, but at what cost is it cheaper then bringing it to a qualified shop?

If you are bound and determined to do the work yourself, I would suggest getting a subscription to alldata or buy a haynes manual.

I would split the engine from the tranny. Use a floor jack, block of wood, a ratchet strap or whatever you can come up with to support the tranny.

There will be 4 bolts on top of the tranny that hold the shifter assembly to it.

When I pulled my engine I droped the transfercase, transmission, and then pulled the engine.

Yea, I figured that we were spitting them, but I was hoping it could be pulled as one piece. Aligning that clutch is sooo difficult!

I had heard that you needed some type of a puller to remove the shifter, so I wasn't sure.

No, none at this time. It's just that my prior attempts to install it have failed. Just can't seem to get the splines to align properly. Thought that maybe the job would be easier with the engine and trans out of the truck.

I've heard that somebody once made a rig to pull the engine/transmission with a forklift. Anybody ever see such a thing?

Yea, I figured that we were spitting them, but I was hoping it could be pulled as one piece. Aligning that clutch is sooo difficult!

I had heard that you needed some type of a puller to remove the shifter, so I wasn't sure.

You do not need a puller to remove the shifter. I would just put a floor jack under the tranny the rear mount and drive shafts will hold the rest of it. Then split the motor from the tranny. I think you would be adding alot more work and heart ache to an already big job if you pulled them together.

No, none at this time. It's just that my prior attempts to install it have failed. Just can't seem to get the splines to align properly. Thought that maybe the job would be easier with the engine and trans out of the truck.

I've heard that somebody once made a rig to pull the engine/transmission with a forklift. Anybody ever see such a thing?

If you are having this much trouble why don't you leave a professional do the job. It easiest to leave the trans in the truck if you're not doing repairs to it, aligning the clutch splines is not hard at all.

If you are having this much trouble why don't you leave a professional do the job. It easiest to leave the trans in the truck if you're not doing repairs to it, aligning the clutch splines is not hard at all.

^^ x2

if you want to do it yourself you have to take the transfer case and trans out. I tried to put my engine back in with the trans hangin off of it and the oil pan would not clear, that was with the hood off and the use of an overhead crane. Another tip I have is to pull the head before you pull the motor and put it on after you have the motor back in. It will come in and out with the head on but it is a pain.

going back to the clutch splines ... install the clutch with the line up tool installed then put the pressure plate on. remove the line up tool, put the trans in gear, and spin the output shaft to line the input up with the clutch splines.

to take the sifter out all you need is two flat head screwdrivers

If you want a reall easy way to do everything and so you can see what your doing. Pull the cab off. If I ever do it again I will be taking the cab off.

Pulling the cab is standard procedure for Ferd dealers when doing engine work on pickups and suv's for the past few years.

BTW, Alldata is better known as Somedata most times.

Ok, the two screw drivers comment threw me for a loop. Care to expand?

Parted out my buddies truck a couple of weeks ago. I can say that with the cab off, you have some awsome access to the drive line. The cab actually wasn't that hard to pull. 6 bolts and a couple of weather pack plugs and it was off. It took three times as much time to pull the fenders as it took to pull the cab. That said, I don't know if I'll be spending my time pulling it.

As for why I'm doing this... well when you're unemployed, sometimes you're forced to do things that you'd rather farm out.

There is a spring loaded bayonet washer in there that holds the bottom part of the shifter in. Push down and twist to the left it'll pop out then. I've found it's much easier to use a big open end wrench to take it out.

But if you have the means to pull the cab off it's much easier. A few wires, A few bolts and its off.

You are crazy if you pull the cab on a Dodge p/u no matter what engine is in it. Ford 6.0 hell yeah.$.02
x2 with 12VALVETATER on the shifter. Just push down and twist.

Take the last valve cover off when you pull and you should be able to clear the cowl, no problem. That was my only issue when pulling the motor on my 97.

You are crazy if you pull the cab on a Dodge p/u no matter what engine is in it. Ford 6.0 hell yeah.$.02
x2 with 12VALVETATER on the shifter. Just push down and twist.

To remove cab is not big problem at all, just few hours....