need to pull the engine

i also agree with pulling the cab if you have the means to do so we are working on a 3rd gen that dockboyed the engin and are putting a 12v back into it much easier to work with and around

Most seem like good suggestions. I would spend my time taking the head off before I pulled the cab. Engine is coming apart anyway isn't it?

Also, the tip on putting the trans in gear so you can turn the input by turning the output was a good one.

You don't learn **** by paying someone else to do it.

I agree with the pulling the cab suggestion but if you don't have a lift it becomes difficult to accomplish. What I did to make things easier was pull all the body mount bolts, then lift the cab with a floor jack just high enough to wedge in a 2x4 sideways between the cab and the mount. I didn't have to disconnect anything else and 4 inches of height combined with pulling the valve covers made the job really easy. It is even enough room to pull the pushrods out as well if you don't wanna take all the cowling out when pulling the head.

Yea, head is already off. Another reason why I'm not driving it to the dealer! Thanks for the tips!

you guys that are pulling the cab off are crazy! its not that hard to slide that thing out of there! pull the bellhousing bolts and jack the tranny up as you pick the motor up. Take the hood off if you need to. :doh:

If my boss caught me pulling the cab off of a truck like a Dodge to get an easy to work on motor like a Cummins out, I'd be kicked back to doing oil changes! :bang

if your gonna do it yourself, take the trans and transfer case off, you can prolly leave them to together or spit them if you want its your choice, but make sure you dont leave the trans on it will b a lot lot easier. also, if you can get the oil pan off before the engine is out by just lifting it off the mounts and seeing if you can clear the pickup tube, if will be a lot easier to clear the firewall overhang. if you get the trans and pan and oil pickup off the engine will come out smooth as butter without having to perswade it in any crazy ways. i made the mistake of leaving it all on and i will tell you that that overhang will get bent and it wont be fun. i wound up having to use a 2x4 to pry the engine out. and just take off the hood, its 4 bolts and takes about 5 minutes and then its out of your way. but if you already have the head off you might not have as many clearence issues with the crossmember