Need Transmission

How many solenoids are there in the 5R110? What solenoids are for what?

I am being serious... Your previous posts have kinda given me the impression that you should not be tearing into this valve body. Even if you get it down and start pulling them out, you don't have a machine to clean them and replacing the valve body ain't cheap. If the reverse planet IS comming apart it would be foolish to attempt this since you will be back in the same spot again in the not too distant future.

Feel free to tell me to STFU but I would rather you be pissed at me than you lighting money on fire in this DIY attempt.

If you really want to look in the pan. Look for what would appear to be glitter in the pan. There will be metal on the magnet. The glitter in the pan is Aluminum and is an indication to stop at that point and get someone a little more qualified to look at it.

HAHA! Its alright i wasn't going to tutch the tranny! I'm not an auto mechanic, I'm a lineman. I was wondering for knowledge only. Whats the best way to go about fixing the problem? Is there a solenoid that is specifically for what my problem is?

Where the metal might potentially be comming from could be slowly grinding away at something you will need later down the road. Which is why I'm telling you that changing the solenoid won't stop the transmission from cutting itself to pieces. Cause if the metal winds up in the pressure control solenoid and it puts the trans past 300psi which will pop a gauge if you attempt to test it. Will cause it to hydraulically rip itself to pieces. But hey, keep thinking that throwing something at it might fix it.

Take the pan down and inspect it for metal shavings. Post results. Pictures would be nice also...

Well I took the pan down and changed both filters a few weeks before it started acting up. The magnet was pretty full of shavings, I cant remember what kind of metal it was. Then I got it stuck in a mud whole. The next day It started acting up. So far as of now its all working fine.

I had a stock torque converter explode on me in my 06 with only 40K miles on it, about 20K of those with my SCT, half driving with extreme street, the other half with a towing tune (winter use). It drove fine right until it broke, and it broke at about 25mph cruising at less than 1/8 throttle. I have a reman in mine now and with less than 4k miles on it, its acting up. The dealer wont do anything about it because they tell me nothing is wrong. I cant wait for this one to explode so I can have a normal driving truck again.

Are these trannys supposed to be junk?
Buzz, why dont you have someone who knows something look at your tranny? Stop pissing around and just pay someone. You will get 9 different answers here all of which may factor in. You took the time to drop the pan and such... but take the truck OOS for a few days and be done with this.

Are these trannys supposed to be junk?

No, the 5R110 is supposed to be a very stout transmission. I'm writing mine off to a fluke. I think the reman is either messed up in mine or perhaps the "sticky solenoid" I hear about haha. I'm willing to bet mine wasn't flushed properly.

Pay to have yours fixed, it is worth having it done. I too hear nothing but good things from NADP.

I took it to someone already. I explained it to him and he said it was wrecked, he and a buddy of mine were messing around with it for 3 hours one day. I asked about the line pressure and he said it was good. Theres one transmission shop around here, that's why I was asking questions. Is the best way to tell if there is something wrong by actually taking it apart? or is there other ways

Since it is a 2004 and they have a problem with the reverse planet pinion pin coming out and grinding the metal, which manifests itself as delayed engagement. The best thing to do is take it out and inspect the problem area. Not just keep trying to wave a magic wand over the transmission.

Back