Needing some Allison info.

DIESELGUY84

Bracket Racer
After driving my buddy's '06 D-max, I fell in love with the tranny, and I'm thinking of swapping my manual trans. for an Allison 1K.
Are all of the Allys the same or are there certain years that were better (in any way) than others?

What will need to be done to an Allison to handle say 600hp/1300tq Cummins engine, frequent drag racing, the ocasional sled pull, and frequent towing of 4-5000 lbs?

Also any idea what would a guy expect to pay for one of these trannys at a junkyard?

Thanks in advance!
Eric:Cheer:

After driving my buddy's '06 D-max, I fell in love with the tranny, and I'm thinking of swapping my manual trans. for an Allison 1K.
Are all of the Allys the same or are there certain years that were better (in any way) than others?

What will need to be done to an Allison to handle say 600hp/1300tq Cummins engine, frequent drag racing, the ocasional sled pull, and frequent towing of 4-5000 lbs?

Also any idea what would a guy expect to pay for one of these trannys at a junkyard?

Thanks in advance!
Eric:Cheer:

Well you could get a fully built allison from Suncoast but you'd have to pay the core charge. You are however really close to ATS. I have a Suncoast and love it.

its going to be very expensive and take a lot of work to get dialed in properly. Give Destroked a call...

You also may want to call Fleece Performance. Chase has a cummins/allison set up.

Thanks for the replies!
I was recently @ an Allison training seminar (I'm a fleet mechanic for a living) They focused quite a bit on the 1K 2K tranny's we even got to tear into one, I was amazed at how simple it was! So I'm planning on finding a good used tranny, and building it myself.
I'm wanting to find out which parts break at what power levels. I'll definatly check out Fleece and Destroked.

I did some research, found a website, Transmissioncenter.com, They claim their rebuild kit will hold 1000hp, havn't checked what's included in the kit, but it's $2842 for the 01-04 trannys and $2699 for 06 and up what's the difference????
9130 steel input shafts $637 output is $525

Yeah, this'll get pricey, but I think it'll be sweet to have 5 maybe 6 gears, and not have to lose boost when it shifts!!:charger:

It's about a 8-10K swap by the time parts/labor are added up depending on if you do most of the work yourself. I looked into this for my uncles Dodge last month.

06 and up are six speed, 05 and older are five speed. A typical Sun Coast 4 and converter are going to run around $4,500 without shafts.

then how are you gonna mate the dodge transfer case to the Allison? How's the allison gonna know you engaged the truck in 4wd (this may be easy enough with the PCS stand alone computer, I don't know)? if you go with a 06+ 6-spd allison, they have manual/tap-shift controls. These are mounted in the shift lever in the GM trucks, how do you control that with this conversion? I don't think PCS has the 6-spd stand alone done. At least not advertised on Destroked's website. With either the 5-spd or 6-spd allison, they have Tow/Haul button, also integrated into the shift lever on the steering column in the GM trucks. There again, how you think that'll be controlled? Perhaps the PCS stand alone has that ability too?

There's lots of things to consider in this swap... it's a good bit more than just swapping parts to get the Allison in there and function just like it does in a GM truck, or better.

C-ya

All you have to do is call.. We can support the conversion from tip to tail... We've got a NV271/3 tailshaft housing that is modified to accept a GM sensor and a tone wheel that fits on the output shaft. So if you have a ford or dodge, the T-case will work.

Our swap harness is about like hooking up a stereo.. About 5 wires.. Power, Ground, Switched power, Tow Haul, Overdrive lockout, and that's about it...

Pretty easy. The adapters can be had from us, Suncoast, or Destroked. I do like destroked's setup as well but I think they're more expensive.

Brayden

5 wires, WOW that's pretty simple!

Now what about converters? Are there different stall speeds available for an Ally like there is for a power glide?
Seems to me a tripple disc would be the way to go.

Keep the input coming!
:thankyou2:

What do you use for a TCM? You need a stand alone controller right? Only one I ever saw was a Ford running a Cummins and Allison at the Diesel Power Challenge last year. It did pretty well. I know that ATS makes most everything you need. Mike at ATS runs an Allison behind his Cummins.

The one in the DPC was Chase Fleece wasn't it??? Brayden's brother???

Brayden, I need to call you about some things... I think you can help me.

Any converter that works in the Dmax will work behind the cummins.. Ask Ron @ Suncoast for a 1078... It works pretty well behind the ISBe's.

We've done about 10 conversions across the US.. they aren't cheap, but work well. Chase's was a blast to drive.. His truck is now sold and he's looking into getting a common rail. It was running back in 2004 with an Allison.

Brayden

I looked on suncoast's website under GM diesel performane, couldn't find the 1078 converter. What's 1078 stand for anyways?
So far I've found a couple stock Allys out of wrecked GM trucks, anywhere from $1000 to $1250 is that about the going price for one of these stock trannys?

If you can get an 06 or newer for that, your doing good. I've seen them go for $1400-$2500 around here. Brayden might mean a 1058 converter.

I've got a low mileage(<3000 miles) 6 speed allison out of an 07 LBZ. 1200.00 plus shipping. Has all the sensors etc.

Last edited:
no, Brayden means 1078 ;)

I forget what its comprised of though. Its got the stator from one model converter, and then the turbine is from another. Hybrid of some sort. Or something like that. I could very well be wrong.

ben

Just so I'm on the same page, converter stall speed is the highest RPM the engine can rev, while the transmission is in gear, and brakes applied,(tires not spinning of course) right??

Bolt patterns?

Are the bell housing bolts the same from a gasser tranny to one behind a diesel?
I found an Ally for $500 but it was bolted to a Gas engine.
I assume the internals are the same????