Needing Wheel Help!

I have disk in the rear so ill need to take some off. I'm not running tubes, guess I need to order some. What backspace did you go with?

I have disk in the rear so ill need to take some off. I'm not running tubes, guess I need to order some. What backspace did you go with?

Call Mickey Thompson tech support at (330) 928 - 9092 Ext. 4. Give them your specifications, they should be able to help you out or direct you to someone who can. Quit guessing, get your info from experts.

Mickey Thompson wheels stick out just as much as the ones you have, unless they make custom ones I've never seen.

I called Mickey Thompson and was told they don't make such a thing to tuck a tire like that. From what he said it is going to require a custom wheel to be built.

I called Real Wheel and the gentleman I talk to told me that they do not recommend tubes with their wheels. 2 week wait and 50% down at time of order. Not bad if you ask me.

I then called M&H to verify what I need to do and John told me to go with a 10" wide wheel not 12". He said that the 12" will take the crown out of the tire and it'll be flat which will cause traction problems.

Last edited:
I went 12" wide in case I ever wanted to go bigger and I do t think it will cause traction issues for what we are doing.

Good this is if you only go 10" wide, they will tuck even better than mine.

I've been talking with bogart about a set for mine. There high but you won't find a nicer drag wheel.

I was thinking the same thing. If I go bigger I won't have to go through this again and spend more money.

...I know nobody else will probably try....

but I've been intending to have a set of GM PYO aluminum wheels widened to ~7.5" of B.S. There's a company who will do these wheels for $250ea.

(6.5" stock width to 10" width, stock BS is ~4.5")

That's not a bad price. The guy at Mickey Thompson told be that a company out of Georgia will do it.

I just ordered 16x10 with a 6" bs. Can you send me a picture of how much they stick out. With what I ordered it should sit like yours but its only 1.5 less than the race line and that doesn't seem like enough. Makes me nervous.

Who's did you order? Ill try to find more pics. I know you saw mine at the races. They tuck a lot, can't even compare em to any off the shelf.

If you went 10" wide, I would go 7" BS. It'll give you an inch more clearance inside, and tuck an inch more than mine.

Last edited:
Finals2012small_zps0d327567.jpg

finals20122small_zps23621a1e.jpg

That looks good. I went with 7 and if they are to tucked ill put spacers on. I don't think they will be though.

guys, can ya'll take some pictures to show detail on the disc brake clearance? Are these stock D70 disc setups?

Mine are. When I go to clearance mine I will take pictures.

Mine are stock Dana 80 disc brakes. The wheels are CLOSE, but I took a grinder and smoothed out the calipers to guarantee no rub.

Real wheel told me the inner diameter of the wheel is 15.8".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I finally got my new wheels in. I ordered the puller series after being referred to them by Diesel Importer and I must say I am impressed by the construction of these wheels. 16X10 W/ 7" BS.

BTW Hurley, I know you wanted me to take pictures and document how much I had to take off the calipers but they didn't need any clearance. They cleared by 1/4" easy.

Went to the track this weekend and it the truck defiantly hooks harder with my new wheels but now I have figured out my limited slip may be giving me fits. So now I have to do something before the NADM race in Denton that is 2 weeks away.

Now keep in mind, this track was green. 4th pair to go down the track were 2 dragsters and both are now totaled, One Big Tire Camero slid sideways at the end of the track and missed the wall by inches a few passes later, and every big tire car fish tailed at the end of the track. The first 120' hooked well but it was slick at the top end.

My problem Friday was a broke track bar mount so every time I came off the brake it took a hard right. I fixed that and Saturday night I would launch and look at each wall. It looks and feels like the tires aren't getting even power and it keeps switching from side to side like my limited slip is giving up. I should have kept the old wore out nasty oil in it but didn't and put new Schaeffer oil with friction modifier in it this past week.

What do yall think? Should I get a locker and go give it hell?

2-23-13 Desert Thunder - YouTube

Attachments

• 16898_10200578368811851_631896808_n.jpg
    16898_10200578368811851_631896808_n.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
  • GOPR0065.jpg
    GOPR0065.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0