New additions to the sled puller!

BottleFed

Ok guys let me know what you think of the new setup. lol go easy on my its my first puller and i am no fabircator. To be honest im not sure if it will work or not. I sure hope it dose took a lot of time. Its not totally done yet i have a bit more welding to do, grinding and obviously some paint and the pics kinda suck cuz i took them on my phone but i think you can get the idea. Like i said give me your input our first pull is next sat. the 19th so if there is any changes you think i should make let me know!

154.jpg

152.jpg

148.jpg

168.jpg

166.jpg

160.jpg

Here is a couple more pics i forgot. Also the reasone i did the back mount for the solid suspension (or lack of) is so that i can bolt the stock spring hangers and springs back in if i ever need to.

156.jpg

100.jpg

165.jpg

Looks good! Nice work. There are always things that can be done better. Can't ask for much more for your first time though.

How think are the ujoint shields? Most places require 1/4" steel.

I like it! Showed alot of planning and creative thinking beforehand.

Damn, Nick, looks great!! That is some innovation going into the rear suspension, I would have just hacked the spring hangers off and gone from there but you have fabbed up a very nice set-up. The rear traction bars are a little interesting but I think it will net good leverage where it needs to be. Keep up the great work, good to see it went to a like minded home. :)

Make sure you get some good video of your first pull, I am looking very much forward to it! :)

Joe

Well thanks Joe im not to sure about the traction bars myself but time is getting short and that seemed like a decent way to do it without having to build a full new bracket. I guess we will see how it works lol. Im going to go down and weigh it today to see how much weight i can hang and build my weight bar. Ill post a few more pictures this evening should be close to done by then.

ZSTROKEN the u-joint sheilds are just a little thin but i had one of the tech's come over tody to look everything over while i had the box off and he said they will be fine for this year. I have far more safety equipment than 90% of the trucks around here so they were happy. Pulling is just getting going up here in montana so they are very willing to work with a guy just so that trucks will show up. Full driveline loops with a backbone are in the plans but like i said im running short on time for this pull.

the bolts thru the hangers look a bit small..hopin yer gonna have some 1/2'' grade 8 at least in there. 5/8 be better yet

rest of it looks pretty dang good i think

The bolts that bolt the hangers to the frame are 1/2" grade 8's. I couldnt find any weld in bungs that were 5/8 i was a little iffy about that myself but after grinding the rivits out of the old hangers they were only 1/2 also so i would think it should hold up? The bolts that actually bolt to the hanger are 5/8 and they will be getting grade eights sometime today now that the store is open.

You'll be fine with those 1/2" grade 8's, I have seen A LOT of force and weight being held up by just one 1/2" grade 8 before, so nothin' to worry about. Looking forward to more pics!

Joe

Damn you have some time involved in that it looks real good post some vids when you hook I am very interested in seeing how it works

Good job

Looks like some excellent fabrication to me, don't sell yourself short. Great job.

Well guys bad news. I just found out i have to have all four brakes on the truck to be legal and it proves to be impossible to find a set of dually drums around here short of buying a new set for almost 400 bucks. Im beyond frustraded i left the shop today and had to come have a few beers. The truck needs an oil change and loaded on the trailer and its ready to go pullin or so i thought. Is it just me or is it pointless to have rear brakes on a sled puller that has less than 2000 pounds on the rear axle and over 6000 on the front? Almost every other rule i have read on here as long as you have disk fronts your golden. For the life of me i cant get the guy that owns the sled to budge on this one. I am all about having a safe event but really rear brakes? Just had to vent on that one i hope i can find a set of drums and lines used before friday i really dont wanna fork over the 500 bucks for new stuff the sled puller fund is running very short lol.

The fabing looks good to me, im building driveshaft loops and u joint shields with a backbone now. Anyway sry to hear about not being able to pull iv never had them check my rear brakes? Idk

Looks good.

I have never seen sled pulling rules that didnt say you had to have 4 working brakes.

Looks great to me. I would be a little scetchy on using pipe unless it were DOM tubing, but you seem to have alot of bracing and the welds looks very nice so you shouldn't have any problems as far as your fabricated setups breaking.

What class are you building the truck for? In most orgainizations the lower classes will require brakes front and rear. At the point the class no longer requires the truck to be street legal, you will find they then only require brakes on front.

In a street legal class they will say its a safety factor but also a fairness factor, by not running rear breaks you can hand that much more weight out front which can be a big advantage.

About the truck...looks great, my first Super Stock gasser I build was very similar in the hitch style and the spring hangers...good job!

Ryan`