New and needing advice

noobbuilder

Hello iam from Montana went to college for diesel mechanics thought i knew it all but i have been asked by my cousin to rebuild his 96 12v and realized i dont know **** haha. Hes had some work done to it. Currently its got 270k miles and running around 700ish horse, but its a tired engine between the guy who had it first, my cousins hotrodding, and the sorry pos mechanic that he had work on it. Hes running twins a borq warner and switzer bd. New head port, polished and fire ringed, 60pound springs, high flow intercooler (not sure what make) and modded fuel pump (again not sure what make) and water meth inj. He doesnt want to just re-ring and girdled he is wanting it bored. So basically i was wonding whether or not to keep the stock crank or get a new one if so what does everyone recommend same with pistons basically stock overbore pistons or something fancy again recommendations are great. Rods? Any ideas are helpfull

A lot of questions!
First , welcome.
second When you graduate from most schools, they fill you with the thoughts that you are at the top of the game. Truth is you are 5 years behind, and still short on experience!
Now, have you rebuilt any IC engines before?

As far as what to do to this engine, no one should say until it is apart. Maybe the bores are good , need a fresh hone and rings.
Same with the crankshaft, a little polishing maybe all it needs or a grind with undersize bearings. Fire rings may not be the best way consider O-ringing it.
What is the intended use after this work? Drag, street, sled are all different things.
I would also consider having it balanced at the HP level.

I know a fair bit about rebuilding stock but its the performance side of things i dont know. Not sure on what components are weak and need upgraded and what is ok stock. Question about crank was simply for strength will it hold up at that hp? Going to be a combination street and drag. With occasional trailer pulling with loads of 23k+. He wants to overbore it for more CI. He was thinking high compression pistons but iam not sure about that with his twins. Also he currently has 100horse injectors but they are too big for how its set up now.

People say O rings handle the heat cycles of a DD truck better. The bottom end can handle your power goal. May consider getting the pistons coated. I wouldn't worry about more CI, if a simple hone will suffice no need to bore it over.

Ok thanks. I was reading about marine pistons would that be a good option for a twin turbo setup or just stick with stock pistons