New build not starting

smokincummins89

I just got my motor put back together, and was in the process of firing it up. When I crank it over it will only kinda pop a little bit then die. The big thing I found was that there is fuel blowing out the exhaust. So I was wondering if anyone has any idea on what I screwed up. Also let me know if you need more information about it. Thanks any information in much appreciated.

Ok thanks guys after sitting thinking about pretty sure I put pump timing wrong. Thanks again for the help guys.

What kind of pump are you running? Did you start it on either and try turning the fuel on?

Bigstack95 was asking what pump and if fuel was on because with a big ag pump you have to have the fuel off to start it then slowly turn the fuel on. If you just turned it on good luck getting it started. But sounds like you just have an auto pump.

Bigstack95 was asking what pump and if fuel was on because with a big ag pump you have to have the fuel off to start it then slowly turn the fuel on. If you just turned it on good luck getting it started. But sounds like you just have an auto pump.

Exactly. Can't just try to start it with a big pump on you'll hydrolock it, or it'll just chatter and push fuel out.

Go back and find true TDC on the engine and reset your timing. 1# valves can still appear to be closed when #6 is on TDC, sounds like your 180* out of time.

Last edited: