New cam and twins

OT-OF-Here

Owner of the Black Beach
Well the Black Beach is officially back! It's been a long struggle and right at two years,... but she's stronger than ever.

A special thanks to Benn Duvall and Dane Pirgillis (probably spelled wrong), but a very nice local Wentzville, MO puller. Also tks to Wayne Zimmerman for the latest upgrades.

Wayne built and fabbed the new twins. Wayne's shop is just north and east of Kirksville, MO.

The cam I went with is Bill Fletcher's Diesel Pros. I didn't go with the most ratical unit as it required fly cutting the pistons and I didn't want to go back into the engine again as Benn Duvall did a great job on it and I didn't want to push my luck. Once the turbos light that cam gives it a real kick in the arse and the new turbos are all that I hoped they would be.

My twins consist of a 63/68/12. Wayne worked over the exh housing and it is now more like a 13 housing. It's sitting over an s480 with race housing. The turbos are Bullseye's. I really like the setup and especially how Wayne tunes the setup balancing the boost and drive pressure under all conditions. That's something I feel was missing in my prior setups.

I have Wicked's bypass on the truck and Wayne had to replumb a couple little things to make it all work and fit nicely but that is his main deal,... fabbing!

I also spent a long time on the phone with Bill Fletcher. Geeez,... had my head spinning like crazy. He wanted to know everything about the truck and it's mods and then made his recommendation and it works as advertised,... outstanding! I'm using ZDDP with the cam and have used that stuff since Benn finished the motor almost two years ago.

Wayne and I test drove the truck on only SW5 and it was all over the place with planted power that was unbelievable,... just like I was flooring it while riding on ball bearings. It never ran like that before EVER! Wayne didn't want to push it past the SW5 based on my prior experience with people test driving my truck,... I appreciated that.

I had planned on the same small turbo but thought I would go with the S475 but Wayne convinced me the S480 was the way to go in this setup. I also switched from a 3rd gen exh manifold for this setup as I'm convinced that the 2nd gen manifold allows better breathing/flow and eliminates the hot spot. No doubt the coolant bypass will further help that situation. Back when Benn built the engine I had the foresight to have the soft plugs removed from the head and have them taped and machined for threaded fittings. NO more of those blowing out and lunching an entire engine & turbos.

It really feels good to be sitting back on top of a rocket!:cheer:

sounds great, sure feels good when you do all that work and it runs like somebody yelled freeze police !

Fletchers cam is a real nice unit. U will enjoy its benifits and he stands behind his products.

Pics

Somebody send me your e-mail and I will send you some pics if you will post them for me. Send me it in a PM pls. Tks.

Pics

Sent the pics to a member. I suppose he will be posting them soon.

looks nice Pat......

Why did you change your twins setup? It's been so long cant really remember (for better 1/4 times- if correct?)

How many miles on the motor now and how is #8,9?

That's a bit confusing

looks nice Pat......

Why did you change your twins setup? It's been so long cant really remember (for better 1/4 times- if correct?)

How many miles on the motor now and how is #8,9?

What I mean is there are a couple ways of looking at that. I'm going to assume you me the following. Actually I've now had three sets of twins,... these being the third. The first set was back in late '04 and that was a small set of ATS twins which were an A2k/A5k. I simply outgrew those in the power dept. My second set was an MPI setup with HTT turbos and they were a 64/71/13ss over an S480 w/ race cover. They were a great setup but I had to sell them to help pay for the engine overhaul. And these are my comeback setup and I believe better suited to the 1/4 mile,.. we'll see but the preliminary on it looks highly promising.

The truck has only 62k on it and the motor has 7k to 8k miles on it.

As for #8,9?? You got me. I don't have a clue what that references. Help me out there.

Oh,.. I forgot to add new tips,... some EH 60% tips I had been sitting on for a year finally went in also.

Just want to point out

lookin good man

On these pics that Kronic was kind enough to post for me, then pls note the small blue hose with the black dot in the end attaching to the small turbo there is an allen screw. That's the adj for the boost. What could be easier?!!

Also both turbos were beautifully poslished by Wayne's shop. They looked so good I almost didn't want to hide that biggin'!

Last edited:
congrats man! It's definitely a good feeling to be back up and running, especially when everything works out like it should.

-jp

Several have asked me for tn's on the guys I listed

So here they are and I don't hesitate in recommending any of them:

Dane Pirgillis: 636-357-1435

Wayne Zimmerman: shop 319-397-2286

Benn Duvall: Sorry,..I don't have his tn. Someone else hopefully will provide it.

A side issue I want to share is that Wayne has a unique setup for the twins when you want to go from a 3rd gen manifold to a 2nd gen manifold and he uses the oem heavy elbow which I liked as I had almost had a small firewall fire from one of my prior setups while on a dyno with a lot of consecutive runs. Also the tubing just flows with NO bottlenecks and free easy bends.

Hope this helps.

Pat- SMARTY # 8- 9 ??? you only mentioned using smarty#5....

I knew you had the mpi 64/480 (same as mine) and were thinking of a quicker spooling set. Didnt know you had to sell them to pay for rebuild.

My 220's spool the 64/480 much better then the 150's
Joel

Duh!!

Pat- SMARTY # 8- 9 ??? you only mentioned using smarty#5....

I knew you had the mpi 64/480 (same as mine) and were thinking of a quicker spooling set. Didnt know you had to sell them to pay for rebuild.

My 220's spool the 64/480 much better then the 150's
Joel

Your example of the 220's spooling the 64/480 better than 150s would in itself indicate that a little less fuel could be equally spooled by a bit less air. Also is your 64 using a 71? A Bullseye tech says the 68 will flow more (don't ask me how,.. but that's what he said. Supposedly the 71 series turbos that are so popular are NOW considered old technology and the 68 is more desireable. Maybe someone with REAL facts like Chris from ED will tune in on it or Nathan from MPI. Just repeating what I was told.

Sorry Joel,.. a little slow this evening. So far just SW7. The truck is uncontrollable on SW7 without being locked in. I will try the SW9 but for just daily driving actually SW5 will be more than enough. The 63/480 combo seems to be everything I hoped for and while I am not running as big of sticks as you with my setup it is awesome.

My 64/480 setup was awesome too but it living large past the 1/4 and I wanted a setup that was maxing out closer to the end of the 1/4 to get my best result, IMO.

Obviously your setup is working for you and I just hope mine does for me. Many roads can lead to the same destination.

Pat