New "farm truck" Project

Red Sleeper

Had the truck for about 3 weeks now and it will be a continuing project from now on. For now it stays at our farm so it will be just a weekend project. Purchase price was $500; back story on it is it's been a farm truck it's whole life. Driven on a ranch just out of Victoria (Rockin' K), into town, and that's about it. Odometer quit working along with the speedo so mileage stopped at 113k but I'm certain it's under 130k and oil change intervals are unknown.

Going to try and keep it as cheap as I can, (used tires, used performance parts, etc) and see what I can make out of it. Need it to be reliable to run up and down the road pulling trailers with equipment, cattle and everyday farm stuff. Would like to bump up the "umff" a bit, kinda small set of injectors, a HX35 or maybe a simple proven twin setup. Never fabbed up twins before so I figure this is a good truck for a learning curve.

Goal is to swap the engine and trans into a 86 Chevy we used on the farm as well. It has a 6.2 with 194k, awesome truck just ****ty power... When that will happen is unknown, could be next month, could be next decade.

To date I've changed all the fluids, new thermostat and valve cover gaskets.

After 4000 psi and some de-greaser.

And after two days or work at my cousins I made it to our place with it.

Last edited:
Preciate it! Should have some time tomorrow to play with it a little more. Need to asses front wheel bearings, fuel filter, ac system, and the injection pump.

these ol dodge trucks are some of the toughest trucks out there if you ask me. They will handle anything you throw at them. Mine was a farm truck for about 10 years before I got it and it was treated how a farm truck is usually treated and it has come a long ways. Don't doubt the 1st gens.

Thanks for the insight smokin ace. I see your sig says lots of custom parts. Is most of that the pump or just engine mods in general?

1st gens are definately some of the toughest trucks for sure. Bodies may give up but the drivetrain is solid. We have a 90 350 with a getrag 5spd that has somewhere over 330k (odometer quit working like 6 yrs ago) and has been a farm truck since 96. Has went everyday in the wynters to field cattle and goes everyday in the summers to the hay fields. Gota love em for sure!

No the pump is just a 12mm pump that I've turned up and done my own tricks to. It has a few custom parts on the truck. I've built/fabbed a lot of stuff for it and my brother is a machinist and has made me some quality pieces including our own engineered fuel sump and grid delete.

Ah, I see.. Are these pumps fairly straight forward when one starts to play with them? I have read and read all about them to try and familiarize myself with it before I get into it. I have an egt gauge sitting in the shop and prob just going to plumb up a pressure gauge for boost.

Also, bought a set of 5x13's 145* injectors yesterday for it. Now I need a cheap cheap hx32 or 40 maybe.

Oh yeah once you tear into it you'll see whats goin on. They are easy to turn up and just mess with it til you get it to your liking. Id recommend an he351cw Turbo off an 04.5-07 dodge. I ran one and loved it. Its a good upgrade and you can find them usually for a good price even though they seem to be getting harder to find. An hx35 with a 12cm housing would be a decent upgrade if you could get it for the right price.

Hm, I could come by a he351cw pretty easily.. What ever I buy turbo wise I need to consider what will work with it in the future for a possible twin setup. I don't want to spend all my time tuning on them, just a simple setup where the two are going to like each other. Maybe an external gate if need be and a hood stack. Cost money to run pipe all they way to the back.

Sounds like an he351 is the way to go for you then you wont regret it and there are many turbos you can throw under it to make a nice twin setup. I take it this is a 5 speed? If so you'll like the he351 even more cuz it'll spool very quick. Hood stacks are a very nice, cheap, easy, and cool way to go ha ha I have one.

Good buy! Have fun with it I sure like mine (the cummins part) the rest of the truck not so much

Nice score for 500 bucks. I once too had purchased a ole ranch truck. Didn't live too long after I got it. Killer timing cover bolt got the best of it. Was fun while it lasted. Yours looks to be in way better shape though.

Nice mini collection of tonka trucks btw.

good find. and yes they are tough mine was a farm truck too just really well taken care of and its took some hard licks since ive had it and still looks and runs great. im with austin go with a he351 quick spooling and a decent comp on em. (60mm and 9cm exhaust housing iirc)

Thanks guys, I'll take all the imput I can get!!

aaron, those are my cousins actually. I do have some of my own though, toys that were actually made of metal! :rockwoot:

Jake, are you talking about an aftermarket housing for them?

No I think the he351 is a 60/60/9 from what I've heard. Definately spools quick and cools well. Good for 40+ lbs

Thanks guys, I'll take all the imput I can get!!

aaron, those are my cousins actually. I do have some of my own though, toys that were actually made of metal! :rockwoot:

Jake, are you talking about an aftermarket housing for them?

no thats factory specs on them. the best stock turbo they put on em imo id buy one if i could get a deal on one. im running gds 60 mm comp upgrade on my stocker. its a good upgrade but still spools slow with the 18cm exhaust housing

No I think the he351 is a 60/60/9 from what I've heard. Definately spools quick and cools well. Good for 40+ lbs

Sweetness! Looking forward to getting my hands on one then.

no thats factory specs on them. the best stock turbo they put on em imo id buy one if i could get a deal on one. im running gds 60 mm comp upgrade on my stocker. its a good upgrade but still spools slow with the 18cm exhaust housing

Ok, I understand now.. I bought a set of injectors off a member on here for the truck. The original ones are leaking (don't know where yet) on it so I figured I should have them tested. (know a diesel mechanic who can do them at his house for me) Browsed the for sale section and found a set. 155* 5x13's, marine tips (370s) and set at 245 bar injectors. They have not been run sense the works was done bu Shortbus.

How about some opinions on a secondary turbo under the HE351. I really want them to complement each other as far as working together. I'm not up to snuff on turbo chargers at all. I just learned the difference between a T3 and T4 flange yesterday so they are not my specialty. :charger:

Last edited:
Back