New guy from MD building a 1966BT Dodge W200

LowDown

Glutton for Punishment
CompD members,

My name is Andy and live outside of Baltimore, MD. I have built a few rock crawlers over the last ten years including a few Toyotas and Jeeps. I completed my last project major project in July 2010; a Jeep based racer I built for the Raush Creek off road series. Check out Crawl Magazine, issue no. 26 for an article the owner wrote about the race series and the build.

Other than fabricating, I have a great family including my wife and our two boys.

I found the blue '68 W200 Crew, a former Air Force truck, on a farm in Luray, Va in October 2010. At the time, my wife and I had been contemplating buying an older 3/4 or 1 ton truck to do work around the house and eventually pull a single car hauler for my personal off road project (Toyota 4Runner). Having a small family, the four door cab immediately stood out to me. The truck was (is) ugly and rough as hell so I wanted it bad. My wife was on board with the project so I got the ball rolling. The timing worked out and I brought the '68 home with the help of my two good friends, Austin and Rob.

It was worse than it looked. The a-pillar floors and body mounts were gone. The bottoms off all four doors were completely rusted out and there was very little left of the rockers and door sills. The front of the cab was sitting on the frame. The doors were so out of whack that the driver's front was really hard to open and was lucky if it would close. The fender/cowl seams were gone and the inside of the cowl was really bad.
At some point, a 383 was swapped in along with a radiator out of something like a '55 Chevy. Whatever butcher did the swap, cut the core support and put a hole in the hood to clear the radiator neck. All four leaf packs were shot; the fronts were negatively arched and the rear main leafs were cracked.

The plan WAS to bring the '68 back to life but rust really compromised the structural integrity of the cab. I hated to let it go but it was the best thing to do.
Fast foward to May 2011; I came across a Craigslist add for 4 Sweptlines including a complete '66 D200 (318/727) Camper Special which I brought home 5/5/2011.
Thanks to Shane for hauling and Rob for making the ride to help load the truck.

Fast forward to November 2011; I found a '91 12v 6BT donor truck in PA so I'm going NV4500/diesel instead of with the BB.

I'm still linking the front suspension, new rear leafs, a GM D60 front axle, Dodge D70 rear axle, hydro boost brakes with discs on 4 corners, and power steering along with a hydro assist ram. The body will remain stock for the most part.

I'll get a build thread once I figure out where to put it!
Also, I'm looking for some parts including a 6BT-NV4500 engine plate, bell housing and clutch fork.

Welcome to Comp D you are just around the corner from me.

Welcome sir, you have definitely found the place to not only find the parts you are looking for, also find plenty of people that will drool over your build, and offer advice when asked. I look forward to seeing the build thread.

Welcome to compd! That is an awesome project. I'm a little bit farther from you than a couple of these guys but if you need help give me a shout. If you're looking for stock clutch hydraulics I have a set or two that you can have if you like. I'm fairly certain they still work.

Welcome! and very neat project i must say! those old 4 doors are incredibly rare

welcome! i have an old 4 door myself but not quite that old. mines only an 85!

here is the day i brought it home:
DSC02377.jpg

and a couple of days ago:
Photo0309.jpg

i had a hard time with parts that were worth a **** and your truck is even more rare! have fun with the project, mine ended up with a 175hp p-pumped 12valve and a nv4500.

LOL, worth a shot. I showed the pic of your truck to my buddies and we are drooling. That thing is SEXY! You got any better pics?

[ame="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/moneytlks01/dodge%20crew%20cab/"]dodge crew cab pictures by moneytlks01 - Photobucket[/ame]

almost 80 pictures from start to finish

Thanks for the responses.
CumminTryMe; thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that.
jkretzer; yes, I've wheeled Gore several times over the years.
I can't wait to show up there with my truck hauling my family and crawler. Maybe another 2 years..
jamel; sweet truck for sure. I hope mine turns out that nice.

:welcome:, very unique choice for your build, keep the updates coming...

lowdown-2 of my neighbors wheel down there. the one (terry Porter) is a master fabricator and built his own tube frame buggy with 4 wheel steering a few year sback. he has been begging me to go but can never find the time.