New kid from southern Louisiana.

AustinM

"...what was that noise?"
Hey everyone! Names Austin. I'm 19 years old from Denham Springs, Louisiana.

My truck is the first vehicle I've ever owned, actually driven by myself, and I'd like to tell you guys about it.

Back in 2010, my dad found a 1999 3/4 Ton LB 4x4 CTD for sale. 47RE, It was being sold by some kid my age, and the truck had 146xxx miles on it. Dad could only assume the kid had no idea what he had on his hands, because he was selling it for $1500. He met with him, did the bill of sale and title transfer, and drove it home. Over some time he definitely realized it had a lot of issues that came along with it. Never drove it entirely too much apart from working on it because he was traveling for work at the time.

From 2010-2014, my dad put ~$8000 into this truck to get it running right. The last chunk of money he spent on it before he handed it over to me early August of last year was replacing a shot VP44.

I didn't know anything about vehicles. I was into building computers and playing video games. I had just finished highschool, got my GED ontop of that, and didn't see myself going to college. In embarrassment I could tell you guys right now that a year ago that I had no idea any other diesel engine besides a Cummins was made, and I thought it was a V8. Even looking under the hood at the time I'd think to myself "Huh... I haven't seen very many, but that's a weird lookin' V8." :l

So there I was, behind the wheel of my first truck with a foot worth of play in the steering wheel, loud as all cab noise with a 3 inch straight pipe cut off right under the cab with virtually no dashboard, just carpet cover. Busted up leather seats, ****ed up transfer case and a disinterest in vehicles. Took me a long time to realize what I could and can do with it.

Over time I decided I wanted to do things to the truck, make it look nicer. I didn't like the idea of Trial and Error, so I took DEEP researching about anything I could find out that I wanted to change to prevent from a **** up. To say the least, It's unreal what you can learn in a year. Looking back on it now I'm glad I decided to take interest into it and it's opened me up to a huge and informative community.

https://gyazo.com/b323cb7e96ef3423bec071cf1ee496a6

https://gyazo.com/94b9a731541355efe500b9a1474b13ae

The first link is the truck a year ago, and the second is the truck today. Now I'm working in the Oilfield, a diesel nut and blown away by looking back on it. I haven't done too many mechanical upgrades only because I don't have the time to do them myself or hand her over to a shop, so I've gotten as far as dropping a Juice with Attitude in with an S&B intake, exhaust system, a number of interior touch ups, and some others I cannot think of at the moment. She's got 171,8xx miles now and I intend on putting a lot more on.

Thanks for taking the time to read guys. Glad to be a part of the community!:Cheer: