New member from central Pa (Into tractor pulling)

Farmallgray

Hi guys,
I just found this site. My intrest is a little bit off the wall. I'm mostly into tractors and have been all my life. I collect antique IH farm tractors and Cub Cadet garden tractors. This past spring I finally was able to do some horse trading for a Cub Cadet 882 which was factory powered by a Kubota 600cc 3 cyl diesel. My family owned an IH dealership and these came out when I was a teenager and I have wanted one ever since. On a Cub Cadet forum I met a guy in IL who has added turbos to several of these. I got to see one of his at a tractor show in WI this summer. I decided it looked like a pretty easy project so I gathered up the parts to do it to mine. The turbo is from a Mercedes Smart car and uses an integral exhaust manifold. Here is a link to my install thread on the IH Registry forum;
IHREGISTRY FORUM: Archive through September 18, 2009
There are also some links to videos at the top of that page.

I used to pull garden and farm tractors but haven't pulled for a few years.
I took the Cub to the local fair pull and just pulled exhibition. Well that has kind of given me the fever to build a dedicated turbo diesel puller using a gear drive Cub Cadet chassis and probably a 900 to 1100 cc engine. So now I'm looking for all the info I can on hot rod turbo diesels. There is a forum dedicated to diesel GT pulling;
dieselgardentractorpulling : Diesel Garden Tractor Pulling
This forum is fairly new (as is diesel garden tractor pulling in general) so there isn't a lot of info out there. A lot of places that pull GTs don't have a class for diesels, but I think they will be a real crowd pleaser if they make some smoke and ground speed.

I'm looking for general diesel performance info. These engines use a small inline mechanical injection pump and are indirect injection. So I'll be trying to read all the old posts that may give me ideas that may apply to my application and give me ideas.
I guess these machines would be most closely related to the bigger farm stock, pro stock, and super stock tractors. There is a national sanctioning body for GT pulling and they have a set of rules for diesels. The are limited to a single turbo and can run water injection. Must run stock intake and exhaust manifolds and the stock style pump but the pump can be modified internally.

Back