New motor break in tips

Wrong Gen but, I'm about ready to start my freshened IC 1990. New rings, bearings,gaskets, cam/tappets.

I've found enough info about "break-ins" What type of Break-in oils/additives to make my head spin. 97rada's method sounds doable.

If the rings aren't forced against the walls soon enough, they'll use up the roughness before they fully seat.

And have heard some people run engines w/o coolant for a few, 3 minutes to seat the rings.

I'm not so sure about the no coolant method. But running it hard makes sense if all the parts are playing nice. How to run it under load and be sure the tappets are spinning I haven't figured out yet.

Keep a close eye on coolant temps and check the coolant level after initial start up as well. These motors can trap a good air bubble and cause a bad problem.... no coolant flow.

note* I don't have a coolant system vacuum and i wish i did.

also dont forget your first oil change soon after a few hard runs or some say after 500 miles.... especially if using a zinc additive with a new cam.

Iv got a vac pump. How or where do you pull that bubble out?

And is a zddp additive in rotella just as good as a dedicated breakin oil like Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs, and Lucas to name a few?

Thanks

Last edited:
I ran Joe Gibs break-in oil in my engine for break in and ring seating. Fired it up, ran for 15-min between 14-2000rpm varying every 1-min or so, throttled down, rolled onto a dyno and proceed to "Burn it down". Once that was over, changed the oil to Lucas High-TBN and drove it for 500-mi. Changed the oil again ran the over head torque the studs, now with just over 2500mi on the build, zero oil use, zero blow -by and happy as heck.