New roving smog checks/cats for pre 98 in CA

Hitchedup

They have started roving smog checks here, in California.:nail:

Can anyone suggest a manufacturer of CARB complyant catylitic converters in 4" stainless?

Does anyone know for sure if grail trucks are exempt from this?
Does anyone know what the fine is?

Been searching the web for a while now, no definate answers.
Will keep at it and post findings.
Just hoping some one from California could shed light on a dark subject.

Last edited:
All 1998 model year trucks will get tested biannually if you live in an area that they test cars biannually. That includes 98 12 valves. I don't think there is a fine, I think that if you don't pass you can't register your vehicle until you do.

No carb compliment cats yet, just have to use the factory cats, just cut them to the size you need, we have smogged trucks with the cars put into 5", as for the 98 as far as I know you have to smog but I'm not positive, but I know a guy in redding with a 98 12v that they made smog, but he was an old man that wouldn't say anything just do it, you may be able to fight it, there's not really fines I don't think, you just have to fix it and get it smogged again if it failed the first time, if you are pulled over by chp or something they aren't trained on what to look for so they can't do much, but if you piss em off and the see some aftermarket stuff, they can send you to a smog referee, and they look over everything, may just have to go talk to a smog shop or two and have them maybe enter your vin , or feel em out, they probly have no idea what to look at on a. 12v anyway lol

get a stocker and hollow it out.. its a visual inspection. im sure its mostly for people with stacks.. and the dipchits that go around blowing smoke.

I was more concerned about the roving checks, when you are pulled into one I'm not sure if they check for original equip.
Friend was pulled into one like a sobriety check point around the corner from his house. Just down the street.

Was told to try going to the CHP for an exemption, or a smog referee.
Another suggestion was to check local shops for exemption requirements.

Thanks, still hoping for a solution.

Okay, seems I am ignorant about what a GRAIL truck is. I was under the impression that all 12v w/p pumps were grail since the are manually controlling the fuel. My bad..........

The truck I am referring to is my 96 12v. I bought it in 95, waited almost a year for them to find a stick w/4:10's. The one they finally found was without a EGR valve. I assume from another state.

I know it is supposed to be smog exempt. I don't allow it to smoke (just screws us all later if we love the diesel). Am just concerned about having to pay a fine that I could use for a new set of tires or a long range fishing trip.

Apologies for sort of screwing this post up with misinformation, but I am still learning. Could still use your help if you could.

I will be search for a solution and will post any good info I come up with.
Thanks to all who have tried to help.

as far as i know it is 98+. 97 and earlier so far are still smog exempt.

Garrett

People have made a lot more annoying mistakes, don't worry about this one. This thread many help someone else in the future. And thanks for not smoking, that has really been bad for us in the public image area.

Like Garrett said your truck is still exempt, lucky for you.

Keep us updated if you find anything out. I've never heard of roving checks before.

Last edited:
CHP cant do a roving check...UNLESS there is a CARB Official present...if you get pulled for a check..ask to see the CARB official.

We just had our yearly CHP Commercial driving trainning from our local Commercial enforcement officer, and I point balnk asked him if he can pull me over at will to look for tampered emmissions devices...he said no. Only A CARB Official can determine if a modification is Illegal.

As far as I can tell, CARB has the power to set up a checkpoint and either impound or fine anybody that comes by thousands of dollars. The laws they get to enforce are so sloppy that I'll just say "anybody"...

CHP's not the enemy, but if you see people in CARB hats do a u-turn and run for your life. I was doing research on this a year or so ago and couldn't find evidence that CARB had done checkpoints, but their counterparts in other states had and racked up tens of thousands of dollars willy nilly.

If your truck is a 96 man you have no worrys, I have seen carb do a road side checkpoint for big trucks on a popular log truck highway, I don't see them pulling in every single pickup they saw go by though, and it wasn't something blocking the road, they just had a sign out that said emission check all tractors must stop, how they gonna know for sure it's a diesel not a gasser if the truck is quiet, they were about 30 feet off the road when people are doing about 50, probly just let it idle by the so they just hear tire noise

It's BAR doing the roadside smog tests with the assistance of CARB and the CHP, here's one of the reports that I found when trying to find info on the tests.

Up here the cops can write you an excessive smoke ticket without doing any kind of inspection.
I'm also fairly sure that if a chp officer isn't present your participation is voluntary on a roadside inspection.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Thanks all,
Looks like I may ride it out. Will look into changing the stock Cat to four inch on both ends. Think the muffler side already is. Although with 180k I don't beleive it will do much.

Burning twice the amount of fuel in half the amount of time just to be compliant. Sounds like we are doing the environment some good.:doh::doh: