New Stack and valve cover polishing Project!

pyrobee

Everything can go faster!
so I put my new 4" down pipe and stack on. and started working on polishing my own valve cover its gonna take a while but will look good then I can let you all know how to do it! ita pretty easy. here are some pics to big for attatchments so here is a link!!!!

http://pyrobee.shutterfly.com/

I know its leaning a little but I was sober when I put the stack on so my vision was off!! lol

What are you using to polishe the valve cover? heres mine, I polished the letters and raised ribs then painted the rest black...
Picture172.jpg

I am using sandpaper to get it all smoothed out and some of the pits out that I have, and then I am going from 0 to 00 to 0000 steel wool. after you get that to the point where it is looking smooth and shiny I am going to hit it with hours and hours of mothers mag polish. that is the way that seems to work best on the other things I have polished. I was thinking about black but I think I am gonna go with RED or I am also working on smoothing out air horn and painting that to until I get mine built. anybody o any other dressing up on thier engine one thier own???

Use 3 stages of Scotch Brite,each one a little finer and a BIG can of WD-40 for your polishing needs.Spray the metal and scotch brite pad liberally with WD and use liberal amounts of elbow grease and your off to the polishing races.Once you have the metal the desired finish use a good metal polish and your PowerBall Mini with a cordless drill and shine it to the look you want.

I will offer this to you as I have been down that road with my 12ver though...
Polishing the valve cover is really neat when you do it and a neat look,UNTIL its been down the road a while and gets all ugly and you need to keep repolishing it,over an over.It was more a PIA to me that the looks it gave so mine ended up painted to match the trucks exterior,much easier to care for and keep clean......Andy

I used scotch brite disc on a angle grinder then used some compound from TSC w/ a buffing wheel....work awsome and have aprox 2 hrs. into it...

quick question about your stack, did you use flex pipe to allow for bed flex?

no I did not. I talked to alot of guys and some did and some did not. I might do it a little later but for now I am just leaving it straight exhaust pipe for know.

Hammer. I am gonna try using the wd tonight when I work on it. sounds like a good idea never heard it before. I always use mothers mag polish and it works really well.

Little REd. I used a angle grinder once before on polishing my bike frame and I liked the results by hand a little better but, maybe you have the magic touch I did not. I will post some pictures as I go along. I am needign to get all the paint off first that is my longest project. I am just sanding away because it gets all the pits and stuff out.

just a suggestion i would raise the stack up a little so that tip is flush with the cab or your truck will have a nice soot mark there just my $.02

yeah I have some adjusting to do still. It should be level with the cab and a litlle more pulled toward the cab cause right now it pulls a little toward the tailgate.. I mean the adapter that goes from the stack to the 5" is a piece of 5 inch cut in half and is held on by a big hose clamp on the bottom...lol it was pieced together till this weekend when I canfix it and do a few other upgrades

Here are a few pics of some polished parts and a couple of my old factory valvecover, I polished it like LittleRed did but I milled off the ribs.

Ian

cover2.jpg

cover1.jpg

Old pic... Prostreet66 charger
4-14-07014.jpg

Ive got a polisher nearby that does stuff cheap for me, heres some stuff Ive had him polish

100_3152.jpg

100_3153.jpg

100_3166.jpg

mine holding up pretty good....have to hit it w/ mother once in a while and it cleans it right up.

IC all that stuff looks great! I hope mine comes out that good. if you do not mind I might take your milling idea. Is that red Air Horn home made? or bought???

Thanks bud!
I made it to accommodate my boost bungs and water meth nozzles

Polishing a valve cover with a dremel takes 6 cases of beer, all night, and a can of aircraft paint remover (which can't be used on aircraft). Just ask BCSCUMMINS. LOL

Good luck on it. Can't wait to see it finished.

I am gonna do a little of it tommorow and hopefully be done the next night.