New to me 2009 Jetta TDI

RockinRam96

Hey guys, yesterday I purchased a new to me 2009 Jetta TDI, 6-speed manual trans, 1 owner Virginia car, all service done at the dealership, aside from two small rings the body and interior are in near mint condition.

I drive 60 miles found trip to work today and I'm hoping this will save me a bit of money over my 96 Dodge that I used to daily drive. EPA estimates the fuel mileage at 41 mpg, I'm hoping to reach 50 mpg!

Are there anythings that I should pay attention to for as far as maintenance? I know there is a VW specific oil that needs to be used but what about fuel treatment? Is there anything I should run or shouldn't? I usually run how's in my pickup and. Kenworth.

How about exhaust and intake? I'd like to get an exhaust to hear a little bit more of the diesel sound an a K&N air intake system. I have had K&N on every other vehicle I've owned and won't ever use anything different.

How about tuners or programmers? Are there any out there? EGR deletes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pics for your viewing pleasure:

pavysyge.jpg

4evuvu2u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks just like mine! Howes will be fine to run in it, as far as exhaust systems......maybe some of the other TDI guys can help there because mine is all stock, the only thing i'd worry about at all is the dual mass flywheel, mine is starting to rattle pretty good........also, I wont put a K&N system on anything I own, their filtration sucks.

2nd ditching the K&N.
They do "okay" on non-boosted stuff, but a turbo can suck the oil and dirt right through them and you end up with a dusted engine.

Pull your inlet tube off before the intercooler and you'll see what we mean, with the oily, black/grey coating that will likely be there.

Mark..

Timing belt needs changed every 100k, and when you change it you should also change everything it comes in contact with. They sell the complete kit on several TDI parts websites.

I do not run any additives in my 06 and have yet to have any problems, 197,7xx miles on it now.

Third on ditching the K&N, as Mark said, they are great for non turbo vehicles, but they are not rated nor preform properly for a turbo vehicle.

Exhaust on mine is still all stock. I am sure you could do a muffler delete and wake up the exhaust some.

Tuners there are a few out there, I have a Malone 1.5 in my car and have the EGR deleted. I get around 44ish for an average, and I definitely am not easy on it. These cars like a beating, make sure you provide it.

The first thing I would do is join TDI forum, anything you want to know is there. I have a 02. I live in Webster, NY.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been reading a little on the TDIforum but I don't know most of the lingo yet!

I have had a K&N on my 96 Dodge and I noticed an improvement in fuel economy. I actually had all the charge cooler piping off last weekend and didn't notice any oily residue in the pipes. But to each his own, maybe I will maybe I won't. My main goal is mileage here.

But the timing belt issue, what kind of job is that? Are there any special tools required or can I do it all with regular shop tools. There shouldn't be any timing settings to worry about since it is a common rail and the pump shouldn't have to be timed. Is it imperative the belt be changed at every 100,000 miles? My car has 105,000 on it now.

Also interested in a good place to get other goodies, such as seat covers (I'll have these nice tan leather seats dirty in a hurry), headlights, tail lights, ya know all that stupid stuff that you g guys have to have.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The timing of the belt is VERY important, one tooth off and the motor could be junk. Yes it does require special tools, which can be bought at the same places that you can get the kit. I had my first belt done at 110k, I would not push it if you are not sure if it has been changed or not. ON TDIclub.com there is a list of "guru" people that do side work, I would contact one of them to see if they can hook you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAi667H7M2Y

Changing the timing belt doesn't seem like a bad job at all. For the price of the tools it doesn't seem too bad. I plan on owing this car until the death so if it is necessary to change the timing belt every 100,000 miles maybe it is worth the investment?

I was under the impression that the timing belt was in the crank case.

I may look into doing this job myself, especially if I can find a shop manual.

On TDI Club there is a write up on how to do it. For the amount of money that I would need to spend on the specialty tools plus my time to change it I figured I could pay my guy to do it three times before I break even. So far I have paid him twice, I doubt I will buy the tools, dropping it off and picking it back up in 6 hours is worth it to me.

I know Edge says their Insight modules will work with any 1996 and newer vehicles, will it work with a Volkswagen? I'm interested in getting a CTS for gauges.

Definitely skip any sort of intake system on these cars, there is actually proof of them killing DPF's because they mess with sensors and whatnot.

Never run the tank dry, you'll kill the HPFP and everything in contact
Always prime the fuel system with VCDS or directly running the pumps every time you change fuel filters.
Never run weird bio/WVO
Never fill with gas(obviously) All of the above will keep your HPFP happy.

If you ever shut down during a regeneration(fans stay on), IMMEDIATELY start it back up and let it idle for a minute or so. If you recognize regenerations - let it finish before shutting off, this will keep your turbo happy

Timing belt changes are at 120,000 miles, not 100,000 but it doesn't hurt to do it early. I did mine at 115,000. Its not too difficult but at the same time its a pain in the ass. Make sure you have proper tools and read all the how-to's, especially the one by greengeeker on tdiclub.

Edge and Banks, etc are all jokes, Don't get any plug in the harness sensor foolers, they are all junk, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a tuning dealer. There are only 2 tuners who properly tune these - Malone Tuning and Rocketchip. There are other gasser tuners who have tunes for them but only one of them is half decent.

There are plenty of exhaust options, Rawtek, Dieseldubs, Buzzken, etc.

Again, don't touch the stock true CAI, Its the best option you'll have and flows more than enough! Mine is flowing more than enough at 195WHP/345ft-lbs

Jon

A $14 bluetooth OBD thing and $5 torque pro work quite nicely for gauges. Or just don't worry about it :)

Thanks JFettig, I think I'll look into that. I just want something to show manifold pressure and EGTs. For no reason other than I want to see them.

What do you do for tuning JFettig? I know pretty much nothing about these engines. I would like to delete the EGR if at all possible. Can you PM me info about tuning and such. Looking for mileage.

I do like torque pro for doing what you want to do, very customizable. I haven't spent much time for it but for my 09 I can't get the first EGT sensor to show up, the next 2 do. I know others with 2010 and newer get the first EGT sensor to work. If you have a smart phone, its pretty nice

Here is the cheapie adapter I have: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U1MOM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: iSaddle Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP, Vista, Win7, OSX and Android: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41pqaf8v2UL.@@AMEPARAM@@41pqaf8v2UL[/ame]

I'm a dealer for Malone Tuning. Your best mileage increase will be DPF delete and EGR delete. The high pressure EGR(gold colored pipe over the oil filter) isn't too bad, but the low pressure EGR(to the inlet of the turbo) is the nasty one which causes intercooler icing - it introduces moisture into the intake, which condenses in the cold months, freezes, collects, and in worst case, thaws then hydrolocks the engine.

Back